Where's Nate? - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2000, 06:16 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Where's Nate?

After the spirited call to arms, did anyone hook up with Nate Smith? I know he was hitting the canal that night, I hope he got a crack at 'dem cows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2000, 06:20 PM
i'm so outta here

RE:Where's Nate?

We hit a few spots on the west end around 3 AM looking for him and then high tailed it to Chatham where his truck was distinctly absent from the lot. Hope you're all right, Nathan.
Old 10-02-2000, 07:57 AM

Send a message via AIM to BobD Send a message via Yahoo to BobD

I spotted Nate in the Swift River early yesterday afternoon.
I asked why he was not on the Cape and he mentioned something about breaking a fly rod at the Canal the day before. I am sure he will pop up here and explain.

Oh yeah, caught a bunch of little brookies yesterday both on a dry and the dropper
Old 10-02-2000, 08:45 AM

Sorry everyone about ditching everyone. I was really looking forward to the fishing. I get to the Canal about 11:00, and start working the Pip's ripe area. The fishing actually started consistantly hitting bait arounf 12:00 at the dead tide and really started going nuts the first part of the falling tide. As I was fishing I got careless with my back cast and must have caught the rocks high up on my leader or fly line at full extention because as I came forward the line pulled back really hard and turned my 9" Sage into a 6 1/2 foot Sage. On every other trip I have taken I have carried my 7wt as a back-up but would you know it not tonight. I just couldn't drive all the way to boston and back so I decided to call it a weekend. This is the second time in 2 months I have broken my rod (no problems with the rod, I just need to be more careful). I was frustrated to say the least. It looks like you have a good weekend at least. One good note though.
I hit the Swift Sunday and caught the best fish I have ever caught outside the deerfield. It was a fat 16" bow. About 1/2 way down the fishable section there is a nice graval bed. On it the fish seemed to be in spawning mode, even thought those fish will never spawn. A few larger bows were chasing a bunch of smaller brookie's off the bed tring to claim territory. I try on a #16 humpy and start working the brookies in the back planning to work my way up. Then I cast to a brookie just behind and to the inside of a really nice bow. As the brookie goes for it the bow rushes over almost jumping over the brookie's back and takes it and then goes running. Nice fish. Caught a few more brookie's too. it was nice to see Bob on the river. All and all I like that little river but I wish it didn't get so much pressure. There where 9 fishermen on that river that day. I bet there are almost always 3-4 guys on that river from April to October. We really need to put more work into developing some more rivers in the area. I can think of 5 or six local stream that can be good brookie and brown rivers with some more work. Is anyone a memeber of TU and can gewt me involved?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.