What factors matter? - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-25-2000, 08:52 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

What factors matter?

When you think about a day from last fall that might apply to you this year, what things do you care about?

Since this is the SWFF board, obviously the <b>tide</b>. The <b>weather's</b> a sure thing but how about <b>barometric pressure</b>? Water and air <b>temperatures</b> are important, as are <b>light conditions</b>.

So many factors... which ones matter most to YOU?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2000, 09:25 PM

RE:What factors matter?

Damnitall, none of them matter as much as having the time to get out there.....
I've had great days under bluebird skies, gotten skunked when everything else looked perfect. Ya just gotta put in the time.

$ 0.02
Old 09-25-2000, 10:26 PM

Well put Bob - but what I am driving toward are the variables, not the constants. One must always put time in but the conditions are hard to capture and remember. The web now offers so much information and there's a possibility that the way we remember or analyze variable conditions over a season, or many seasons, could be greatly enhanced by it.

If you could check the tides at a given spot where you've had good days, and under what weather conditions for the last 4 years, would that be useful?
Old 09-26-2000, 06:24 AM

juro,
I wasn't trying to be flip w/ the response. I guess that when we have the opportunity we begin to process the variables automatically. If I'm looking for moving water, the location I'll try depends first on the tide and then on wind direction. When you add time of day (as it releates to dawn/dusk transitional periods) then that seems to vary the approach at a location rather than the location itself. Your AM experince this weekend at Chatham seems to be a good case in point. Lot's of guys wouldn't give that spot much effort on the incoming but if you vary the approach, voila!
If we all kept logs of time/tide/wind/pressure/air & water temps we'd still be missing one key variable. Is there enough bait there to hold fish for any amount of time?
Old 09-26-2000, 08:25 AM

Personally, I like:

- low light (overcast, maybe a drizzle, but not a downpour).

- cool weather, but not freezing (45-50)

I've caught fish on either tide, but more often than not I think the amount/angle of light affects how behave. I'm not basing this on anything other than experience and my gut feeling that they don't like to be seen.
Old 09-26-2000, 08:43 AM

Yes, I definitely see your point and I agree with the "osmosis method" of soaking in everything around you and gaining a gut feel. I also did not mean to sound flippant, written words hide the smiles and expressions that would confirm this to be otherwise if we were drifting over a shoal on D.H. for instance!

Indeed there's nothing on the web that can give you forage counts per square acre! Boy would I love that, but even then the fluidity of this would render it so temporary that you'd need to go wireless to have it be useful anyway. And then there's Chatham &gt;sigh&lt; but I digress...

What we can do is put together a fly angler's electronic journal, which we are planning. I don't want to talk about it too much because of the way things go on the web - very few ideas, many people and an acute eagerness to adopt other's ideas.

The overall idea is nothing new but the details are unique and I don't want to blow it.

If you have things you'd like to record for posterity, they'd be handy for me to know. Even a general comment '2" bunker everywhere' is worth being reminded of in years to come, and it may help a fellow member score.

<font size="1">There are a lot of projects worth pursuing in the off-season and this is but one. If there are things you would like to see, let me know - it's gonna be a long winter and all the hours on the water will be spent on the web instead!</font><!--1-->
Old 09-26-2000, 08:56 AM
i'm so outta here

Work is heating up, so all I can do in this response is report the facts (as opposed to analyzing the finer points of space, time, and the ineffable constancy of spirit )

My most memorable experience from last Fall was near dusk, as a weak low pressure system approached. The moon was full. The wind was whipping out of the south; the tide was dropping and moving counter to the wind; juvie pogies were pinned near the outlet of an estuarine system, and for nearly three hours the bass were nailing anything that moved in the water. It was still going on when I left; I was just tired of catching.

This one event influences my plans even to this day. Whenever I see a weak front approaching, I dash to a tide site to see if an outgoing tide coincides with dawn or dusk or if the wind will push counter to the tide flow. Whenever I see swarms of unmolested bait I think back to this day and wonder if this was the scene prior to my arrival. Whenever the moon gets full and the weather snotty, my mind drifts off to dreams of the unrelenting hoard and me with all the time in the world to partake of them. "I am haunted by waters."
Old 09-26-2000, 02:13 PM

The things I have seen make the most difference is weather and tides conducive to creating large pods of bait fish. In Fall feeding mode I don't think Stripers care about anything less then a feast. Those would be somewhat calm weather. Ruff seas tend to break up the pods. Temperature doesn’t seem matter as long as it is above 45-50 degrees. If the temp is high then it needs to be overcast or near dusk or dawn. Tides need to be moving which causes the bait to move out or into an area, which causes them to condense even more and move to the stripers. A slight breeze towards the beach seems to help too.
Old 09-26-2000, 04:47 PM

1. Just getting out recharges my batteries and puts everyhting in perspective.
2. I will take a falling tide any day in any river or estuary any day.
3. I have had less success fishing during a low pressure system.

Roop

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.