Ammend 6 Issue # 4 - Management reference points - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-27-2000, 06:26 AM

Ammend 6 Issue # 4 - Management reference points

Currently our ASMFC managment is using maximum sustainable yeild for its overfishing definition. Lately some have complained of a lack of larger fish. This is your opportunity to suggest alternative managment ideas to the ASMFC. What thoughts might some of you have on this issue ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2000, 02:50 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

RE:Ammend 6 Issue # 4 - Management reference points

Bruce -

I've yet to download this but I will when I get back on a high-speed line.

On topic - the concept of max sustainable yield is sound, but depends on what that yield level is set to; and depends on how that yield is distributed across multiple regions in a global sense (as opposed to the state / regional levels). Another factor would be how it is quantified and verified.

I feel the ratio of release to kill in MA needs to change in favor of C&R. I believe the percentage of stripers killed across the atlantic states is 30-35% in MA, the most of all states (I'll have to check the records to confirm).

Even with the slot limit in Maine, the harvest in Maine is a drop in the bucket compared to MA. I'll find that seaboard states comparison on striped bass harvest I am referring to and post a link.
Old 04-27-2000, 06:20 PM

RE:Ammend 6 Issue # 4 - Management reference points

It would seem in order to have significant numbers of big fish you have to release big fish. To me there is no practical reason for keeping a 30 plus pound fish exept to show it off. If you put the limit up here in Mass between 34" and 42" or something like that and released all fish coast wide over 42" you would have the best of both worlds. Given the numbers and sophistication of todays fisherman I don't think many fish will be able to run the gauntlet for the twenty plus years it takes to reach 50 plus pounds.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.