tip water temps - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2000, 01:32 PM
i'm so outta here

tip water temps

This was taken at about 5 PM last night.
Notice the cool spots just south and
East of the Monomoy tip? This could
bode well if it stays like this for Sat.
Other than Monomoy, I think tunoids
are hovering outside our door steps

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2000, 01:47 PM

RE:tip water temps

Al,

I think you are seeing an undersampled (aliased) tidal effect. On incoming tide some of the cold georges' band water gets into the sound. The tide rips just outside mix the thermal layering and we get cold water at the surface. The next tidal outflow pretty much washes it out. The warm water boundary is realy tidally-dependent, more than 0n larger-scsale oceanographic effects. This daily flushing out with cold water is one of the reasons the area is so productive.
Old 08-09-2000, 09:50 AM
i'm so outta here

Josko,

Thanks for the deeper explanation (pun intended). I'm curious about the surface water being cool. Wouldn't it make sense for the cooler water to sink? What keeps it afloat, as it were? Do you know of a decent Web resource where we might learn more about ocean currents and water temps?

Group, the tide at the time slice above will be roughly the tide we will experience on Sat. but as everyone knows, things change. So who knows what we'll actually see (or rather feel through the waders).
Old 08-09-2000, 09:52 AM
i'm so outta here

I keep forgetting to include this:
<!--http--><a href="http://marine.rutgers.edu/mrs/newevery.capecod.html" target="_blank">Rutgers thermal imaging site</a><!--url-->
Old 08-09-2000, 10:44 AM

I'll try to dig up some journal articles on the topic. Basically, the cold Labrador current travels SW past New England. Most of the flow is below the thermocline. When it hits the shallow georges bank and Nantucket shoals, it gets mixed in with the warmer surface water, and reduces the temperature at the surface. It's a bit like a big pump pumping bottom water up to the surface. It then flows over towards the banana buoy and restratifies.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.