first fly - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-22-2001, 09:08 PM

first fly

Just wondering what your first fly might be out of the box and onto the leader. Bright day, do you go with a bright pattern? Cloudy day, do put on that black fly? Or is it the bomber first?
I dont have any killer patterns or seceret flys used only when no one is around.
So whats your first choice? Or does it matter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2001, 09:38 AM

Early or late in the day it's Muddler/OC if no direct sun light is on the water.
Old 06-25-2001, 05:06 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Quote:
skyrise (06-22-2001 10:08 p.m.):
Just wondering what your first fly might be out of the box and onto the leader. Bright day, do you go with a bright pattern? Cloudy day, do put on that black fly? Or is it the bomber first?
I dont have any killer patterns or seceret flys used only when no one is around.
So whats your first choice? Or does it matter?
You knew it was coming so here it is - "it depends!" ;-)

If it's a bright day fishing in rapids, I go with a sedge muddler or a black rat or something that will act crazy and try to invoke a strike on top before trying everything in the box.

If it's a long bouldery holding run I will go with a sparse dark spey fly or a light pink pupae/prawn wet fly before trying everything in the box.

If it's the same long bouldery run that evening I will get a little bolder about fly selection, like a bigger dark with bright highlight color - freight train, or marabou winged wet flies ribbed with flash in purple or black. Better yet, if it's late August or September it's a great time to riffle hitch a sedge pattern on the surface.

If it's mid-day and I am just biding time I will fish caddis pupa wets, spiders in soft holding water or wiggle sculpin patterns in faster water. Actually, a simple olive wooly bugger has done wonders for me mid-day on rivers like the Kalama.

Not much help eh? }>

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.