We have seen the light... - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2000, 06:49 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

We have seen the light...

Today at Falmouth we got a chance at low slack to chase bones and albies on Al's new toy. He was kind enough to shuttle us between the jetties and venture out when the conditions let us. We had what I believe was about 1.5 hours of motoring around up to a mile off shore seeing bones and albies busting all over the place, getting perhaps 6 or more good shots ( a few decent and at least two holy crap ) without so much as a touch. It was an action packed hour or two but we too were left without a hookup.

We fished juvies, chovy/sandeel combo, and wasabi silverside patterns into the fray. There were acres of tiny (1/2"-1") pee-peenut bunker being blasted. When the incoming rip set up the prospect was very good, as our craft was drifted aggressively along while fish were popping up around us.

Just as all this started looking incredible the sky turned heavy and dark and the wind swung around to the north. The tide motion churned up the water and it was time for us to take back the mile or more of chop back to the jetty.

We hit two pods on the run back, by then Al had become really good at setting up. I'm glad he's a patient guy because I get a bit pushy when the fish are bustin' and I hope I did not say too many do this's and do that's! Nothing intended by all that, just me getting jumpy - and BTW you are a maestro when it comes to setting up on a breaking pod Al!

I'll never forget the last pod, Al set it perfectly and just as the momentum of the boat slowed I got a fly right into the middle of the mayhem. Should I reef it in? Should I let it sink? Twitch? I chose to do the "I am crippled eat me" twitch but to no avail. Within seconds they were down and we continued the sloppy ride back.

Gregg and Mike - my apologies for hogging the time out there, time whipped by like the blink of an eye out there. By the time we got back conditions were crap and I only got to watch you guys head for home by the time we returned.

Here's my take on it:

Just like bass eating endless clouds of silversides, these fish are not eating individual anythings out there for the most part. They are looking for dense concentrations of bait and exploding on it. Therefore even the most enticing little bunker fly will only get hit by luck while fishing in the obvious manner - cast and retrieve.

I am preparing a suite of different patterns for next weekend, and the objective will be research and conquest. These fish and their current habits are baffling an extraordinary number of anglers right now and our mission for Boneclave '2000 should be to untangle this mystery and share it with the group to help ensure each other's success. It will be fascinating to share each other's experiences at the fireside each evening. What I am thinking about is to defy conventional thinking, like my favorite deep eel techniques out on Monomoy, like the Estey swing, like the dapping session and the lessons we learned from that (Al!), etc. These are the treasures we earn from our experiences on the water over the years!

Without a doubt <b>there are an incredible number of tunoids out there right now!</b>

Boneclave '2000 promises to be a real adventure judging by what we saw in today's preview trip!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2000, 07:05 PM

RE:We have seen the light...

With all that in mind, someone should bring a traveling tying kit (or 2) in case we find out and are stranded without one! Maybe black and orange, or...Ronald Macdonald colors! Who knows?
Thanks for the report Juro , and Jeff in t'other thread.

Terry
Old 09-04-2000, 07:51 PM
i'm so outta here

Juro - I guess it was a good thing I could only hear about half of what you were saying over the engine noise and rushing waves. I was happy to learn the finer points of rushing a pod and not at all offended. Today was another truly awesome adventure. Wet and wild. The flying Spanish Mack was a highlight for me. On the first drift with Juro, I looked over at the #2 can and saw a huge Mack leap 6 feet out of the water. He must have spanned at least 15 feet. If only my eyes could be a camera!! John, sorry you had to suffer through my learning process. Gregg, Mike, I owe you guys a better ride than the 100 yards we did today. I'll make it up to you at the Boneclave!

Damn those fish were persnickety.

Al
Old 09-04-2000, 07:59 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Terry -

I'll bet the Estey's will bring a kit, bet Al will too - Dave P has a killer tying camp table and kit, I'll bring a kit too. It would be useful to stash a vise somewhere in your pack though.

Hopefully the mystery will be solved through presentation with fly being secondary, increasing the success for more people once we figure it out. I agree, the fly design may be a major part of this situation.
Old 09-05-2000, 05:08 AM

The only fly I have taken Bonito with this season is a small 2 and a half inch blue and white number. It's tied on a bent shank hook wih white yarn wrapped around the hook shank white bucktail or synthetic hair with blue on top. A little peacock on top of that with a thin peice of grizzly hackle to finish, the whole thing is sparsely tied. Sorry about the lousy description, I am not much of a fly tyer yet.Gotta go I am heading down this morning to give em another shot.
Old 09-05-2000, 02:15 PM

juro- Since as you said the tunoids are attacking schools of fish rather than individuals you might try Popovics "schoolie " fly. It was printed up in a past issue of American Angler. FWIW: He used a keel hook and tied a sparse translucent pattern at the top bend and at the bottom bend; thus giving 2 flies per hook. He also tied one on as a trailer. I've used 2 of these the way Ken Abrames does with 2 flies and it worked. I don't know as you'd want 2 bones on at the same time though; blues can be a handful when they double up and run together, so I can only imagine what 2 bones would be like. Just my $.02 ronl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.