The Spit - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-19-2000, 09:38 PM

The Spit

I Fished with Al Deluca and Gregg Estey earlier this evening. Gregg was kind enough to invite us to his home waters and show us around. Al and I met up with Gregg at around 5pm and made the hike out the sand spit at the mouth of the North River. Gregg was into fish soon after we arrived. We all fished a point that had a sandbar about a cast length out, fish or at least a hit on most every cast, fish jumping out of the water after our flies. It was like that off and on for the next couple hours. I headed up river on a sandbar towards the channel where I found the Hostess factory, did I mention the fish were on the small side? Al and Gregg hit the mouth and as Al put it “had ‘em on every cast” What they lacked in size they made up for in feistiness I got a couple in the 20” range but most were Highly oxygenated footballs.
There was just enough wind to keep the bugs away but not enough to interfere with casting.
The night ended with a fantastic sunset. I got my last fish because after casting out into the channel I turned around the take in the view Bang! Another twinkee.

Gregg, your certainly lucky to live so close to a great spot, thanks for sharing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2000, 10:14 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

RE:The Spit

Based on the delay of fish movements, it would make sense that the North River area gets a shot of better fish over the next few weeks. I have had some big nights at the north side of the estuary downriver from Damons Pt. during pogie years.

Sean Fields reports that the outer beaches are getting some very large fish, many of which are feeding on sand eels and fly guys are taking 40 inchers. Two weekends ago the entire Chatham area was ablitz, clearly an arriving enslaught of fresh bright fish covered with sealice.

Could it be that I have just coined a new word "ablitz (re: ablaze")? Nowhere near as sticky as "tunoid" which I think Doug Burgess coined. Was it Sully who coined the "Micro" term.. or was that "nano"? Anyway, if this internet stuff achieves anything it sure gets new jargon established in a hurry!
Old 07-19-2000, 10:25 PM
i'm so outta here

Yup, that sunset was the most spectacular I've seen in a while. Second only to the one at Race Point last year at the Outer Limits Clave.

Gregg, thanks again for the hospitality! You are as gracious a host as you are skillful an angler.

Despite all the hookups I never got a close look at any of these fish. I think the longest I had a fish on was 10 seconds. Not sure what I was doing wrong...sharpened my hooks to a razor point too. I had a blast despite this!

I'm going to try a few spots in BBay tomorrow evening. Anyone who wants to come, toss me an email.

Al
Old 07-20-2000, 08:29 AM

I did the "nano" (can you tell I'm and electronics tweeker?).

TerryW
Old 07-20-2000, 08:31 AM

Al and Jim,

It was my pleasure guys. It truly is fun to share a special spot with friends. Now you know my Hostess factory as Jim calls it.

Al, those were all caught fish. I don't know what you are talking about. You just utilized the California or long line release technique in order to be that much more careful about preserving the resource we all love so much.

Juro, I hope you're right about the shot of better fish. That would be great.

Gregg
Old 07-20-2000, 04:57 PM

That would be "LDR" in the parlance of the listserv where I first met Juro (long distance release). You should be proud of yourself, Al.

I have just started seeing [not catching] larger fish in the Norh in the past week. Saw some nosing around the bottom on the mussel beds above Damon's during a crystal clear incoming. My intermediate line/unweighted fly only got me served at the twinkie bar, but there are some real fish in there now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.