Thanksgiving - Father wants to hit SWFF! - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2000, 04:24 PM

Thanksgiving - Father wants to hit SWFF!

In addition to fresh water my father is visiting and would like to fly fish saltwater. It's 3 weeks off, but would like to plan on hitting somewhere - is anyone planning on being down Cape/RI around then? Can't think of much else other than simply hitting the same places we hit during Rhody...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2000, 04:42 PM

RE:Thanksgiving - Father wants to hit SWFF!

Depends on the weather and winds the next three weeks. If the weather is moderate and our days/nites are seasonal, yes there will be fish around those same areas. If the day/nites stay bitter cold, the migration will accelerate and move offshore.

If that happens, than RI still has bass fishing in the upper Providence River by the power plant and Seekonk River. Narrow River is also an option.

Near Westerly, try the Thames River in CT under Rt-95 bridge.
Old 11-02-2000, 05:45 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

In addition to Ray's great advice, there will typically still be some bass hanging around the bayside from Sandwich to Yarmouth, maybe even further east (Sesuit Harbor).

The southside estuaries up inside Bass River, etc. should have some bass hanging in there as well provided the bait stays up inside. I've caught definite holdovers in Weir Creek, which pours into Bass River in West Dennis.

In past years North Rd. estuary on the Herring River in Harwich has held fish very early and very late.

BBay on the west side inlets will be a good bet - from Buttermilk to Weeweantic.

I would target either southern migration routes or dark bottomed estuaries.

I'd join you but I hope to hook up with Josko for trout on the Deerfield... if my better half allows me! This is cutting into honey-do season.
Old 11-02-2000, 09:33 PM

Honey-do, man that was classic! Good one.

Is the Deerfield flow reliable? Bob was concerned (as am I) that it's a long haul to get out that way from here just to find out you can't wade. If it's a 2 hour drive, I'd rather head to Chatham
Old 11-02-2000, 09:56 PM
i'm so outta here

Got out tonight to the BBay spots Juro mentions. Just a few hours of casual fishing to help fend off the end-of-season blues. I found some bait left, but the hoards of school bass present a week ago have scooted. Tides are looking better next week. We could get a few more waves if the storms stay away.

Man, that fat lady sure can belt

Al
Old 11-03-2000, 09:37 AM

Al, Say it Aint So!
BTW: I have 2 versions of the "Black Phantom," that Jared taught last night at UFT; these are just the kind of flies you really dig!
Old 11-03-2000, 10:19 AM

Falmouth southside, odds get longer, but fish get bigger that time of year. You won't have anywhere the numbers of a few weeks ago, but if you do get one, it should be pretty good size. I landed a fat 43" this a.m. It was the only sign of life I could see.
Old 11-03-2000, 10:27 AM
i'm so outta here

Josko - Congrats! On the fly rod? Might have to drag out my black zonker strip eel monstrosity and hit the Knob!

Greg - yes! the phantom has been my inspiration for quite some time. Put some dumb-bell eyes on it and you basically have a Coyote. Killer night pattern for it's ability to push water. It can also be fished deep to look like a small eel.

Al

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.