Yankee fleet discriminates against FF - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-11-2000, 02:30 PM

Yankee fleet discriminates against FF

Mike gave me a trip on the Yankee Patriot for my Birthday and I used the certificate yesterday.

I showed up on the docks with my 10wt. and fast sinking line ready for some action. THEY WOULDN'T LET ME ON THE BOAT! They said I couldn't flyfish from the Patriot and I assured them I was quite capable of it as I had become pretty good with my roll and steeple casts. They explained further that it was not my ability that concerned them but that they did not allow flyfishing. I said that's discrimination which they freely admitted and continued to not allow me on the boat. Infuriated I feighnted left and moved right trying to get past the deck hand. My stripping basket foiled my efforts by getting snagged on the hand rail and giving the deck hand a chance to grab my wading belt. He deposited me back on the dock and told me to leave the area (I have eddited his more colorful language). As I walked away I told them they haven't heard the last of me and that the ACLU would be very interested in their discriminatory practices.

I got back to my truck, changed clothes, put on a different hat, and put on sunglasses before grabbing my deep water rig and heading back to the boat. As I boarded the Patriot I said "Man, did you guys see that loon with a fly rod and a washtub strapped to his belly? I wonder what the hell he thought he was doing?" I got a couple of curious looks but was allowed to take a seat next to Michael who pretended not to know me for the first half of the trip.

The catching was good and the crew kept the lost time from tangles from the fifty lines to a minimum.

Gregg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2000, 10:11 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

RE:Yankee fleet discriminates against FF

Hey let's charter the whole boat and show up with FF rods only!

I guess I can see their point, but don't agree with them on their policies. I would be equally objectionable about a meat liner on Monomoy but that wouldn't give me the right to remove them.

Oh well, it seems you did the best possible thing by going back on board the clever way you did! Hope you put some whitefish fillet in the freezer.

Say when are you hitting Monomoy next?
Old 07-13-2000, 03:22 PM

Oh yes! Plenty of cod and cusk in the freezer. I'm looking forward to the fish'n'chips dinners as well as the fish chowder.

Our next Monomoy adventure is this Saturday. We will be launching the kayaks a little after 4am and working the last three hours of the dropping tide on the N.Monomoy flats and if it stays good we'll work the rising tide. If things are slow we might head for the South Beach flats since we are more familiar with them. Should we keep our eyes open for you? Or if you can get your hands on a kayak perhaps you can join us.

Gregg
Old 07-13-2000, 05:00 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Gregg -

You might consider launching off the causeway? Not knowing the design of the yaks you're using, or the conditions / wind and distance you wild dudes plan to explore (South tip? WOW); the inside channel might make the start and end of the journey less eventful than before.

Since there are two of you, you have flexibility with the launch and park dynamics. You can launch anywhere you want, it's the parking that kills you. If there is a launch near a public parking spot, one could tow the other yak to the rendezvous and reverse it on the way back.

I hope my Hardings recommendation did not contribute to your misfortune last time out! I will be out there one day for sure, two if my wife lets me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.