Fly Fishing Forum banner

Tautog on a fly

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  ronl 
#1 ·
Any one ever fly fished for tautog? Might be a good way to lossen up for the striper season. Early spring they move into the shallows around places like Bird Island and the Weepecket's. A six weight rod, intermediate line and a small crab fly could be fun.Think I will give it a try this spring.

#2 ·
I remember a tautog chowder I had as a teen... pretty delicious. The big 'tog also come into the end of the jetty and the rockpiles around Sesuit Harbor, and are always hanging around the target ship off Welfleet.

Better tie a pretty solid pattern though, huh? Maybe an epoxy crab for those crusher teeth.

#3 ·
tim- A friend of mine caught a tautog on a 9wgt fly rod while trying for stripers and he messed up the rod pretty good before he landed the 8#er. There's a good reason the bait guys use really heavy gear- tautog go for the rocks quick and stronger than a bass of comparable size. ronl

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.