Flies ship tomorrow! - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-18-2001, 09:04 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Flies ship tomorrow!

Since I decided to tie a set for each swapper the mailout has been delayed, in fact I would have been done sooner if my wife's dog didn't eat a whole neck and a lot of deer hair, not to mention two black rats he chewed but did not swallow (will withold further comments on that).

Anyway, they are DONE and will be packaged and shipped out tomorrow on the way to work. Didn't have time to pack them this morning because I had to re-tie the chewed up flies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2001, 09:41 AM
Steelhead-a-holic

Uh Oh . . . looks like the ol' "Dog Ate My Homework" line lives on in the world of Fly Swapping!! <g>
Old 06-18-2001, 10:20 AM

Glad you're <g> cause I wasn't. Those feathers for the sedge muddler wings are hard to find.

Hmmm.... let's see - I called the swap in December, got the first in January, got the last batch in May and will get them out in June...

I'd say I'm not doin' too bad with my 27 flies going into the swap!
Old 06-18-2001, 12:24 PM
Steelhead-a-holic

I'm grinnin with you - sometimes that's all you can do when stuff like that happens.

I'm sure you know the Murph-ism " No good deed goes Unpunished"?

Anyway, if you're tying the fly I think you are, then the wait will be worth it and we'll all have occasion to toast you on the upper/middle Sky this summer. The fly I'm remembering was quite the killer a couple seasons back?
Old 06-18-2001, 12:46 PM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16
Juro-
All that I can say is WOOHOO!!!!
Old 06-18-2001, 01:39 PM

Whoops! didn't mean to set expectations, compared the the flies that people sent in they are pretty shabby! All I can say is that they have caught fish. Workmanship is a little rusty from tying all those 8" striper flies. Had to re-learn what dubbing, spinning, and all that. Eyes must be going, they say that's the second thing that goes in a man and I can't remember the first...

Anyway it was great to check out all those killer flies and I'm sure you will all love the package you get thanks to those who participated.
Old 06-29-2001, 11:06 AM
the speypages guy

Yer a champ, Juro!

Just got my flies--hooooooo-ahhhhhh! Now I can go fishin'! Thanks for all the trouble putting this together.

A note for Andre--your hook-keeper tube isn't tied in but doesn't come off the main tube. Did you use a glue or is it a friction mount?
FFF certified casting instructor
Old 06-29-2001, 03:44 PM

Sir Salmon!

Simple a friction fit. I'm having a struggle not only with time but tying "pretty" summer flies on tubes. Not the Big T monsters just low water pretties! I'll look around for unsued tubing it I have and left I snail mail you sample of what I used.
Old 06-30-2001, 01:33 AM
the speypages guy

summer tubes

Thanks Andre!

We've been experimenting with smaller summer dressings on smaller tubes. I've been able to get access to handfulls of small WD-40-type clear plastic nozzles (a fellow at a local service department "borrows" them for me) that I'm going to use for low water wets and smaller dries for my Dean trip in August. From another source I have some small diameter vinyl IV tubing that will hold smaller hooks like the new Tiemco 2499SP "super points." What I want to find out is a) will those small WD-40 tubes be durable enough for steelhead fishing, and b) will those smaller SP hooks (#10, for example) hold a steelhead. I figure the Dean is as good a place as any to find out. If you email me your snailmail address I'll send you some small tubes and a few sample flies once I twist a few more up.
FFF certified casting instructor
Old 07-01-2001, 02:26 PM

Hi Dana
I have been using the WD 40 tubes for tying Yellow Dollies as in Hugh Falknus' book Salmon Fishing, or Derek Knowles book Salmon on the Dry Fly.
I've had no success with the fly so I do not know how they end up after being chewed but they cast well and seem to last well.

www.speygillie.co.uk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.