Fly Fishing Forum banner

Why don't I host a NEC clave?

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
Hey Luis -

Why don't I host an NEC clave on Cape Cod? I think it's about time some of you freshies got a little low tide in your lungs! The trout fishing (stillwater) is fabulous, but the stripers will put a whole new twist into a lot of FF@ members' rods and memories.

Thoughts?

#3 ·
Juro:
sounds like a good idea. Only thing is that the FF@ NEC is held once a year and this year and next are taken care of (this year = Catskill; 2001 = L. Placid). If you go to this year's NEC, I'm sure you could convince a whole bunch of people that it's a great idea. What kind of timing are you suggesting. NECs usually attract a good 60 or even 70 people these days, and these guys are used to spring claves (May/June). July is a risky proposition because of peoples family vacations. Then you gotta think about where everyone will stay. Need to secure a campground early plus alternative posher accommodations for those who can't/won't camp. Of course, the idea is for everyone to hang around the same site when not fishing since that's what makes claving interesting.

#4 ·
> Juro: sounds like a good idea. Only thing is that the FF@
> NEC is held once a year and this year and next are taken
> care of (this year = Catskill; 2001 = L. Placid). If you
> go to this year's NEC, I'm sure you could convince a whole
> bunch of people that it's a great idea.

Hmm... 2002 is out there a bit but should be OK... if I gotta go out there to secure people's interests, so be it.

> What kind of
> timing are you suggesting. NECs usually attract a
> good 60 or even 70 people these days, and these guys are
> used to spring claves(May/June).

Perfect timing for stripers on Cape Cod! It will be an epic clave.

> July is a risky
> proposition because of peoples family vacations. Then
> you gotta think about where everyone will stay. Need to
> secure a campground early plus alternative posher
> accommodations for those who can't/won't camp.

Brewster's Nickerson State Park, or Washburn Island Wildlife Refuge (requires boats). Nickerson has 5 trout ponds, some of the best in the state - in addition to the big game coastal fishing nearby. The "posher" can choose from a seemingly infinite variety of places to stay on the hotel / motel mecca known as Cape Cod. In fact we could all stay in hotels on a shoestring if we split rooms.

> Of course, the idea is for everyone to hang around the
> same site when not fishing since that's what makes
> claving interesting.

Of course.

60-70 people! Aye Carumba!

#5 ·
Okay I'll answer the question:

Why doesn't Juro host an NEC Clave? Here's why NOT:

1. Smallmouth clave
2. Altlantic Salmon Clave
3. Boneclave (gotta have one again)
4. Rhode Island Fall Run Clave
5. Running this board
6. Steelheading Trip
7. Two Handed Rod Test Clave
8. Running this board!
9. Striper fishing with us
10. Growing this board
11. Womans wrath and all that

Dude, are you superman? How's that for a cold wet blanket on it?

Now, what does NEC stand for??

#6 ·
>Why doesn't Juro host an NEC Clave? Here's why NOT:

Terry is on to something here...
My wife is already giving me grief for my May/June outing. How solid is your marriage, Juro?
NEC stands for "NorthEast Conclave" of the FLYFISH@ listserv group. This year is the 7th edition in the Catskills.

#7 ·
Two questions:

(1) Can we get a count of who is interested in joining 50 or more worldwide anglers at the Catskills in this epic event this spring? I am considering it. The freinds you make at these events can amount to some great connections and adventures over the years to follow.

OK the other is a comment...

The NEC is a huge event that is held by a large international flyfishing group referred to as flyfish@... because it's a LISTSERV group. We call it FF@ for short, some of you may have seen the bumper sticker on my truck.

By hosting NEC on the Cape in 2002, we could have 50, 60 or more people coming from all over creation to experience our coastal fishery. Most are trout anglers, so you can imagine the thrill they will encounter. We will be somewhat revolutionary in bringing a new twist to the tradition of the event, and bringing a great population of fly anglers into our circle of friends - as well as bringing our friendship into their community. People from FF@ are deeply involved with the flyfishing culture, and I am sure they will return all of our hospitality in the FF tradition.

As Forum members, I hope you feel compelled to welcome these friends to our neck of the woods.

My only regret for this is - 2002 is so far away! It will give us time to plan though. The best thing is to assign a "Host Committee" sometime during the coming year. I will investigate an earlier schedule (i.e. 2001).

I know Luis is saying "no - lake placid!" Already been done my dear friend! I understand your POV and don't want to disrupt anything but hasn't NEC seen it's share of bitty bug eating fishies over the last 7 years?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.