Striper Haven - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-15-2000, 11:35 AM

Striper Haven

A usual, the heart starts pounding with adrenaline this time of year with fish busting everywhere (up and down the seacoasts). We all are looking to exceed that fish we've been talking about all summer thus far!!!
For those of you living on the North Shore :
these past two nights in Newburyport (@ Joppa Flats) have been INSANE!
Fish have been all over the flats and of considerable size!
What initially has looked like Blues slamming the surface, have actually been stripers "finning" for there dinners.
These fish are cruising in only 3-4 ft of water. One keeper caught last night spit out a fairly large silverside (4-5"). I have not seen any large schools of Bunkers, which seem to be cruising the ocean side!
Hopefully these guys will stick around for at least another few weeks and then off to Boston, Cape, etc.
Happy Fishing!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2000, 11:53 AM

RE:Striper Haven

Hmm...maybe we should crank up the pre-work P.I crews again.
The NWR is a possiblity too. Sul? Grego? Juroid? After the storm perhaps early next week. Have to check the tides.

Terry
Old 09-15-2000, 11:59 AM

Nope, tides stink in the am. next week. This was the week, we shouldn't have gone to the Boneclave!

TerryW
Old 09-15-2000, 01:37 PM
President of CAC

I am always fishing the cape but live in Winchester and I thought I might try the north shore. Years ago I surf fished plum Island but have not been back since then. It's been 10 years atleast. The Boss at home is restricting my trips to our place in Chatham so I could probably make a half day trip up to PI. My question is could I get directions from someone to the so called Joppa Flats and some other suggestions (In General) about other areas up there. Thanks
Old 09-15-2000, 02:00 PM

Will be there this weekend and considering pre-work trips when the tides are appropriate. Count me in...
Old 09-15-2000, 02:06 PM

Bri,

Are you in a boat or wading the flats?

I'm heard the mouth and NWR have been hot last couple of days too.
Old 09-15-2000, 02:16 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

JOPPA CLAVE!!!!!!!!!!! <font size="4"></font><!--4-->
Old 09-15-2000, 02:17 PM

What about PI beachfront? During the day? Don't discount the beachfront this time of year at PI in the surf with all the dropoffs and bowls. There are some big blues up there that will be migrating too.

I'm headed home to visit the fam and plan on trying the beaches during the day Saturday and Sunday at Crane's. I may acutally use a 10' surf rod too. I'll be the guy with a two year old in tow, or maybe I'll be in tow.
Old 09-15-2000, 03:58 PM
President of CAC

Juro, Can you give me directions to the Joppa flats.... Thanks. Best tides?
Old 09-15-2000, 04:39 PM

Get to Newburyport. Go thru town, bear left at the fork to head east on Plum Island Tpke. Just as you leave town, there is a little park on the left that runs along the water. There is a little boat launch next to a house on the left. Park next to the launch, but there is only room for a few cars.

Choose low tide, 1.5 hours before to 1.5 hours after. Walk out a long distance (mucky bottom) to the channel. When the water bottoms out the fish often spend the low tide in the channel and it can be red hot. They also rush thru with the incoming, but be careful or you will swim.

*** I do not recommend fishing here in shorts, you should probably wear waders due to muck, organisms, etc ***

There are clean beach fishing areas along the Wildlife refuge and Plum Island beachfront. Keep going past the flats and cross the bridge. Take the first right to fish the refuge, go straight ahead and access the beachfront of P/I all along the road. Keep going to the end to access Plum Island and the mouth of the Merrimac - right at the coast guard sign and park at the lot.

Choose early / late high tides for beachfront, might have to settle for mid-day highs this weekend.

Good luck,

Juro
Old 09-15-2000, 05:36 PM
President of CAC

Juro, thanks alot...those are grear directions.
Old 09-15-2000, 10:52 PM

One note: You'll need to park selectively along the strip of cottages between the first beach access at the corner and the coast guard station. With these tides, the best fishing will be at Joppa and at the coast guard station access to the plum island / merrimac river mouth. The trench right in front from the charter boats to the bend will hold fish on the bottom of the tide, fish it just like you do at the lighthouse.

good luck,
Juro

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.