RHODY BONE! - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-29-2000, 02:44 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

RHODY BONE!

Maybe we're too fixated on the cape... Watch Hill reef / Fisher's / Napatree / area is one of the best places for tunoids anywhere... and we should be able to play around a little with the dates too. There will be some slammer blues on fly rods in the teens; and large stripers in the rips too. It's a slam-fest waiting to happen!

OK - everybody get snarfin' the scene, it is the mecca?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2000, 12:38 PM

RE:RHODY BONE!

Juro,
Sounds like a good idea. The only problem I see would be the boat issue. I would be hesitant to make the long trailer down to unfamiliar launches & unfamiliar waters. I don't know how the other boat guys feel. However, maybe some of our RI brothers who have boats could help out in that department. Shore fishing is always an option for bass & blues, but shore fishing for tunoids is usually a low percentage proposition. My $0.02 GregO.
Old 06-29-2000, 01:35 PM
i'm so outta here

Greg,

Keep in mind, the orginal intent of the Boneclave was to do just that - beat the odds and get the slam from shore. The boating phenomenon just sort of sprouted organically out of the circumstances of camping on an island. I think RI has a better shot at Bones (and Funny Fish) from shore than any other fishery we try.

I'm all for giving it a go (as much as I'll miss Washburn). I'd even go so far as to say that we should skip the boats all together this year (makes development of the signup much easier too

Juro - would the move south shift the dates for optimal Bonito migrations?

al
Old 06-29-2000, 02:10 PM

Well, I figured I would give my two cents........From my experience, the best shore spot for Tunoids is the Vineyard. Look for a breezy, choppy day and there are 2 spots I gaurantee some type of action. In fact give me a Hurricane, I will almost gaurantee that we would hook-up.....Now, that does not mean we will catch them. BUT, the Vineyard is cost prohibitive, especially during August and can be crowded during the Derby. Also, the bass fishing, from my experience from shore is limited during late August. During this time, I have caught most of the bass on the south rocky beaches.

As far as Rhode Island, it make a lot of sense from the shore, although my experience is very limited there. My understanding is that the waters around Fishers Island and the Race are some of the most prolific tunoid waters around. I hear that they are also some of the most dangerous, especially for those not extremely familiar with them.

Well that is my thoughts.....I am open to any area as long as I can make the date agreed upon.

John
Old 06-29-2000, 02:52 PM

Is there any camping on the Vineyard?
Old 06-29-2000, 02:59 PM

There is some camping on the vineyard. Tent sites are $32 a nite and there are some cabins for around $90 a nite that sleep 2 or 3 (I think). The campground is actually pretty nice and clean.....

John
Old 06-29-2000, 03:46 PM
i'm so outta here

We've pretty much ruled out MV for it's lack of affordable transient boat slips/moorings and availability of camping sites prior to Labor Day (see previous threads for details). Without boats in this locale, things could get ugly quick. Lobsterville beach jetty during this time frame will be shoulder to shoulder. I'm not all that familiar with other shore spots, but it seems to me that while the Vineyard might make for a great day trip mid-week, IMHO it's really less than ideal for the full-blown Boneclave experience.
Old 06-29-2000, 03:57 PM
i'm so outta here

I know it sounds like I'm contradicting myself. In one post I'm saying, "no boats!" In another I'm saying, "we MUST have boats." Just to clarify, I don't think MV would be much fun without a boat (though I'd love to be proven wrong) and I especially don't think it will be fun without a place to pitch a tent. Some of the others have made calls and it's basically a situation where we could have booked camping if we had thought to back in March, but we're SOL at this late date.
Old 06-29-2000, 04:47 PM

Al, Your MV point is well taken. At least a few people would have to ferry their vehicles over to the MV so we could have some mobility this is $$. The only other option is of course boats.

As far as RI goes, don't get me wrong I'd be up for it. But I stick to my original point that from a percentage stand point, far more tunoids are landed from boats than on shore.
Old 06-29-2000, 07:14 PM

Great discussion on the topic...
Watch Hill reefs are accessible from launches a number of places from Stonington CT (right in front of the reef) to the harbor at Watch Hill. Camping is available at Burlingame State park among other places. Hotels are not very expensive in that area as I recall.

I think it would serve as a very accomodating boat / shore location for an earlier -or- later Boneclave affair. I think it's time to call upon the RI locals including the honorable RI beachmaster, Art Burton...
Old 06-29-2000, 07:34 PM

The Vineyard is certianly fishable from shore. I have no experience with bones or FA's but I've fished it for stipers and blues enough to know it's hot. The MV family campground is booked solid until labor day, you might be able to get a tent site or two if someone canceled on them, unlikely. Rhody sounds good to me. What about Oct. for an outer beach clave.
Old 06-29-2000, 10:48 PM

IMHO, I think there is too much fixation on Bonito over Albies. I thought the basis of Boneclave 99 was just to get together fish(maybe catch some speedsters), campout, stare at the silver tarp(you had to be there),tell lies (stories) and have a pantload of fun. Which it was!

Not that I have anything against fishing RI or any other new area. That's most of the challenge and fun for me.

As a suggestion maybe Boneclave II (Mid-late August)and Fat Albert Clave I (early September) may be in order. When I see the arbor starting to show throught the backing on my reel I'm way to happy to care whats on the other end.

Could it be possible that it would work like Terry's Spring Clave. Multiple crash sites (different campgrounds) and then everyone tries to meet up at a central location at an approximate time and have at it. Radios and cell phones will do the trick.

Just food for thought not the grill. My .02
Old 07-03-2000, 05:26 PM
Recent Member

Guys,

I don't know when you are planning to hold the BoneClave but a sanity check about shore fishing in RI for bones and albies. Daytime fishing in the breachways and the pier in Narragansett, all of which are good tunoid spots in some years, is generally a zoo until after Labor Day. By that I mean relentless jet ski, boat traffic, and crowds, crowds, crowds that put the fish down.

Other good spots like the West Wall, Watch Hill light, Weekapaug Beach, and Sakonnet Point are only slightly less problematic.

I strongly advise at least a mid-September outing if you are going to do it in RI.

-bd
Old 07-04-2000, 07:05 AM

Hi Guys, I have been pretty busy with my moving and house fixup, but count me in to do whatever, or whenever. The fishing has been slow except for fluke. There is bass and blues, on the reefs off Watch Hill. The problem is the fish are on the bottom, and because of the rip unreachable without wire. I only use a flyrod so have not taken a fish down there this year. When the fish come to the surface it is usually non-stop action.
The bones and F/A's should be showing by the end of July. August thru October should be better. When I hear of bones in schools I will post. I expect to get down there by next week at the latest.
As far as boat ramps, Maybe I am being over cautious, but I would say be sure to follow a boater who is experenced using the breachways.
Ramps Charlestown breachway has one inside it is usable, but very shallow at low tide.
Quonochotaug beachway has a ramp right at the pond. There is rocks everywhere. Going out thru the mouth take a turn to the right as the mouth straight out is all rocks.
Westerly there is a boat ramp, but parking is at a premium.
Greenhaven Marina, where my son keeps his boat is a very short run to Watch Hill,
Sand Point, and the reefs. The problem is price. They get $10 in and $10 out.
Barn Island is not also a short run, but a few rocks to lookout for.
If, and when anyone is interested will give specfic directions.
Right now with all the vacatiners it is hard parking down South County. The beach at Misquamicut was closed as the lot was full, and the traffic backed into Ct. on route #78.
Let me know when you wanta conclave, I will help.
Old 07-05-2000, 09:50 PM

Thanks Art, Bill, Sully and others. Based on the knowledge so far we can assume a Rhody-based Boneclave II would involve off-hours shore fishing and daytime fishing off the reefs and Fisher's from boats as available.

If enough boats are recruited the shore fishing competition vs. jetski's etc will be a non-issue. This will also allow an earlier schedule (pre-Labor Day).

If there won't be enough boats it would need to be a post-Labor Day affair to offer reasonable shore access.

In any case lodging is plentiful around Westerly and affordable if split among a few fishermen. Launching is available and $10 in / $10 out is easy for riders to cover.

I'm confident that there will be a good amount of true bones and albies around by August. My preference would be third week August with enough boats; otherwise after Labor Day.

Therefore the criteria is:

1) How many people? How many boats? Are there enough seats on boats for all people?

If NO... After Labor Day (see above)

If YES... August w/ launching/lodging at Westerly, Stonington, etc.

Thoughts?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.