Son's first keeper on a fly... - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2000, 09:43 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Son's first keeper on a fly...

Obnoxious father report ahead...

Took my son to Monomoy this morning. Luckily met up with Todd Dillon and Nate Smith at the refuge. Loaded up and we were on our way.

Because it was low tide we hit a hole where the fish might hold thru the low. Todd broke the ice with a nice fish. It was a great omen because the boats were running hard and fast over the hole and it was amazing that we were able to get any reaction at all. Once the tide started to flow the fish began to bust more often and we began to hook up more often. These were very nice fish and they fought like the dickens in the current and warm water. Todd landed a nice bluefish on the fly, and it didn't even chew him off! He definitely has the lucky rabbit's foot in the pocket today.

As the levels rose my son and I wandered to some humps with fresh tide running over them. I saw a fish come over a hump and disappear into the next depression so cast a see-thru deep eel into the current steelhead style. I mended the line and it began to swing when >thud< it stopped and I felt a big pull. My 16 yr son was standing next to me so I handed him the rod having no idea what was on the other end. The fish started to run, and he got his first taste of knuckle knockin' at the hands of this fish. The fish made several nice runs and fought a good fight, nothing like some of the twinkie's he had caught this spring. Eventually the fish came to hand, a yr 2000 legal bass, measured, photographed and released. During the close-in handling of the fish the first 8 inches of my RPLXi snapped. It was right where someone hit the blank with a leadhead jig recently on a friends' boat. No worries... I landed a few more fish with the broken portion of the rod!

As the flats flooded, fish started to come up into sight. At one point, a large cow bass non-chalantly swam between Nate and I. Nate got a shot at it and it turned momentarily toward his fly, but to no avail.

We then found a little mini-guzzle that was full of sand eels and bass.

Between this cooperatively caught keeper and the fish he caught on his own it was a milestone day for my son. The Monomoy flats experience burned a new memory in his mind that he won't soon forget. Although he has caught fish up to 36" by other means, it's the first time he got to fight and land a fish over 30". I suspect the photo will speak for itself...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2000, 10:47 PM

RE:Son's first keeper on a fly...

Wow awesome! Chip off the ol block ha? heh heh. I can't wait to walk the field with my son in that way. My day will come. Little league and bluegills first I guess. It's the reverse for me. When my son hooks a striper (we troll with deceivers in the rowboat) he HANDS ME THE ROD!! Big schoolies scare the heck outa him.
Congratulations to father and son.

TerryW
Old 07-06-2000, 09:40 AM

What a special day! Congrats to father and son! After years of working with troubled families and children who have at best had indiferent relationships with their parents it is so refreshing to hear stories like this. I hope you post that picture.

I like the passing of the hooked fish aspect too. Maybe I'm weird but it has always been a very special thing to me to be able to pass a rod with a hooked fish to friend.

Gregg
Old 07-06-2000, 04:13 PM

Juro,
Very glad the opportunity you had wished for on Monday became available later in the week. Must have been some smiles going around that morning for sure.
Al_D again makes a great suggestion for a parent-child clave. Maybe that's just the motivatio I needed to offically call for a ________. More details to follow.
Old 07-06-2000, 08:06 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Here's a snapshot just before the fish was released with hopes it would make it to the spawning grounds next winter. He's caught a 36" before using conventional tackle, but I have a feeling this one's gonna stick in his mind too.

Old 07-07-2000, 09:54 PM

Nice job - I'm going to miss the Sade DS loaner.

Roop
Old 07-11-2000, 07:11 AM

Send a message via AIM to BobD Send a message via Yahoo to BobD

Juro and Son

Congrats on a great looking fish. I just got back from a week down in Falmouth where I got to fish with my son for a few days. We spent most of the time drifting over some of the little flats around the Vineyard. Sight fishing over light colored bottom has become one of Bobby's passions (not sure where he gets that from). I found myself not caring that I spent all those days just playing guide for him. It was just a pleasure to watch him cast and listen to him laugh and curse at missed and lost fish.

The parent/child clave sounds like a wonderful idea. I just hope there is a maximum child age. Some of us older guys children are not that young anymore.
Old 07-13-2000, 07:31 AM
Here fishy fishy

Juro,
Great post. That fish was indeed a beaut! Wish Nate & I had been closer to witness it.

One quibble with your story: I'd add that it was I who was lucky to bump into you in parking lot. As expected, great tips & advice & that son of yours has one heck of a double haul!

Tod
Old 07-13-2000, 02:20 PM

Juro:
That smile on your son's face says it all. Great to get him to this point and great photo. Having three kids of my own I can almost feel your pride 8^)
Off to PEI. Back in two weeks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.