Any reports on the Marlboro Show? - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-20-2013, 08:08 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Any reports on the Marlboro Show?

Wondering if anyone's gone... same ol same ol or worth going?
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2013, 09:06 PM

Same stuff, same people, some new ones, not many, still kinda fun in January.
JC
Old 01-21-2013, 04:36 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I stopped in - cast the Sage One among other rods, nice stick. Smooth loading and plenty of pop. The one pc Hardy extremely powerful yet with an easy tip. Watched Topher's presentation, cast his switch 11+ ft 8wt, fun. Scott was busy with customers so I just stopped to say hi, the Bear's Den booth was the juggernaut at the show. Stopped to offer pro bono casting / guiding services to Casting For Recovery director, said hi to any familiar faces, etc. Same ol, but hey it's January!
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 01-22-2013, 09:28 AM

have you guys seen Peter Laurelli's new video? He's supposed to be showing it at the Somerset show not sure about the Marlboro show. It's online too
Old 01-23-2013, 10:44 AM

I had a great time at the show. That said I don't go for the vendor deals. I worked at the Federation of Fly Fisher booth and met a young boy who could cast a single hand rod like I not seen before. I got him going on single hand snap'T, circles and fly to hand snaps. Really inspiring.

I then participated in a clinic for Federation casting instructors. My segment was talking about how to promote teaching and learning the ways to integrate blogs and social media with the goal of increasing the opportunity to teach.

I was then able to shop the show.

Bears Den had the longest hair Arctic Fox in black that I have ever seen and I bought it all. I also purchased tube fly supplies. The new Sage Circa soft action rods are a great change from the increasingly faster tapers. My feeling is that fishing requires quality casting as well as landing what is angled. I talked with them about creating a switch rod based on the soft through the grip action. Because I am a rod junky, I am looking for a two hand 5 weight in the 11'6" range. Cast both the Sage and the Beulah and found that the softer action of the Beulah was more to my liking. Great size rod for the larger trout and landlock salmon waters of Northern New England.

On Sunday my day started with a meeting with Project Healing Waters. Four of us from IFFF were asked to give our thoughts on how we could better teach and have our Wounded Worriers get the most out of fly casting and fishing. I gave a talk and explanation of two hand switch rod advantages to those wheel chair bound as well as the use of a simple devise that creates a held fulcrum for the top handle of a two hand rod. Using bottom power a soldier who has had the misfortune to have lost an arm can have the full use of bottom hand. Very inspiring and a strong promotion of two hand casting. I was honored to be there.

I then went to the show and watched Enrico Puglisi tie a 9 inch long perch fly for Muskie fishing. His materials are very nice and I use them in steelhead applications. Cast more rods watched some of the fly tiers and gazed at the Hardy reel. I'm a real sucker for that sound. Watched Safet working with life like caddis bodies.

All in all the show is getting smaller. This is a very sad thing because the amount of information that is available in that room is enormous. The casting demonstrations are worth the price of admission alone. Looking forward to next year.
Member Great Bay Trout Unlimited

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.