Ponds at North Palmettto Point - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-30-2012, 11:28 PM
okiplug

Ponds at North Palmettto Point

Well my wife and I will be staying at Aqua Vista on North Palmetto Point next May 14-24. Looking at Googe Earth, I noticed some ponds behind the unit. Do they hold any fish worth targetting?

thanks,

Glenn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 08:01 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

no idea on that BUT if you look at the oceanside beach to the NE a ways there's a coral head that splits the beach. On either side of that on a strong moving tide I had great luck on bigger bones.

Occasionally a very large cuda or shark will use that to pin their prey as well making things really interesting.

No need to wade, watch out for man-o-war.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 12-31-2012, 12:16 PM

I wouldn't waste any time on those ponds. I've driven by them dozens of times and seen very little activity in them. Besides accessing them through all of the knarly undergrowth seems tedious.

Hit the ocean in front of your rental. I've caught tons of bones, palometas, runners and even snapper right nearby. If you snorkel you might even find gigantic parrot fish. They are fairly territorial. There is usally a 2-3 footer just 20 feet offshore in front of Kokomo which is a rental pretty close to where you'll be staying.

Marty
Old 12-31-2012, 05:00 PM

Do any of the salt ponds have fish in them? I'm particularly interested in Sweetings Pond that is just north of Hatchet Bay. I'm planning to take the kayak down there and explore (went there last trip but the wind was too strong to launch the yak) -- just wondering what might turn up, if anything. The local guys say their mama's used to tell them to never go swimming in Sweetings Pond cause the giant octopus that lives in the bottomless depths would be sure to get them!
Old 01-01-2013, 12:29 PM
okiplug

Quote:
Originally Posted by juro
no idea on that BUT if you look at the oceanside beach to the NE a ways there's a coral head that splits the beach. On either side of that on a strong moving tide I had great luck on bigger bones.

Occasionally a very large cuda or shark will use that to pin their prey as well making things really interesting.

No need to wade, watch out for man-o-war.
Marty, Juro thanks for the info!
Old 01-02-2013, 11:51 AM
*** FORUM SPONSOR ***

Location: Western New York Steelhead, Bahamas Bonefish, Wild Western Trout
I have fished the ponds in a kayak before and caught nothing. Saw no large fish, though there are some small minnows around. There is very deep water in those ponds, and I can't understand why they do not seem to hold fish.
God does not deduct from man's alloted time the hours spent fishing.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince
I have fished the ponds in a kayak before and caught nothing. Saw no large fish, though there are some small minnows around. There is very deep water in those ponds, and I can't understand why they do not seem to hold fish.
The giant octupus is eating all the fish, of course.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.