Fly Fishing Forum banner

Ponds at North Palmettto Point

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  doctorsteve 
#1 ·
Well my wife and I will be staying at Aqua Vista on North Palmetto Point next May 14-24. Looking at Googe Earth, I noticed some ponds behind the unit. Do they hold any fish worth targetting?

thanks,

Glenn

#2 ·
no idea on that BUT if you look at the oceanside beach to the NE a ways there's a coral head that splits the beach. On either side of that on a strong moving tide I had great luck on bigger bones.

Occasionally a very large cuda or shark will use that to pin their prey as well making things really interesting.

No need to wade, watch out for man-o-war.

#3 ·
I wouldn't waste any time on those ponds. I've driven by them dozens of times and seen very little activity in them. Besides accessing them through all of the knarly undergrowth seems tedious.

Hit the ocean in front of your rental. I've caught tons of bones, palometas, runners and even snapper right nearby. If you snorkel you might even find gigantic parrot fish. They are fairly territorial. There is usally a 2-3 footer just 20 feet offshore in front of Kokomo which is a rental pretty close to where you'll be staying.

Marty

#4 ·
Do any of the salt ponds have fish in them? I'm particularly interested in Sweetings Pond that is just north of Hatchet Bay. I'm planning to take the kayak down there and explore (went there last trip but the wind was too strong to launch the yak) -- just wondering what might turn up, if anything. The local guys say their mama's used to tell them to never go swimming in Sweetings Pond cause the giant octopus that lives in the bottomless depths would be sure to get them!

#5 ·
juro said:
no idea on that BUT if you look at the oceanside beach to the NE a ways there's a coral head that splits the beach. On either side of that on a strong moving tide I had great luck on bigger bones.

Occasionally a very large cuda or shark will use that to pin their prey as well making things really interesting.

No need to wade, watch out for man-o-war.
Marty, Juro thanks for the info!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.