Saltwater Licensing - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2000, 06:57 PM

Saltwater Licensing

Reading through the August 2000 Florida Sportsman and re-read an article entitled "Salwater Licensing Revenues Paying Big Dividends" which I thought offers some more support to preserving our fishery and habitat.

Some quick numbers:
* licensing not required for shore-bound anglers, 62% local licenses, total of around 1 milloin licenses

1. $127 M in revenue generated since 1988
2, Annual revenues last 5 years average $13M
3. Annually $7M to the Florida Marine Research Institute
4. $3 -4 M annually to Bureau of Marine Enforcement
5. $400K to aquatic education programs primarily targeted at kids

Spending Safeguards
1. No more than 5% to marine conservation activities
2. No more than 5% on admin of license program
3. Not more than 30% on law ebnforcement
4. Not less than 2.5% on aquatic education
5. Not less than 30% on fishery enhancement
6. Not less than 27.5% on marine research

It's estimated that:
1. 500,000 shore bound anglers are not required to be licensed
2. 300,000 out of state anglers do not purchase licenses

In summary, the cost of a salt license has allowed Florida to stabilize fisheries resource funding & provide a focal point for fisheries research by tying it to recreational fishermen.

My continual exposure to the forward thinking of Florida in protecting and enhancing it's resources for all to enjoy continues to impress me.

Such a program could allow us to educate, regulate and protect our resource along. Coupled with my growing concern for the future of our fishery, I think it's a great way to provide much needed funding.

I wonder if our Fish & Game (Dept of Enviro?) has looked into the Florida system at all.

Roop
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2000, 11:27 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

RE:Saltwater Licensing

Roop -

I think it's a great idea. When I was fishing from shore in Fla they did make me pay for a $6 license in saltwater though, maybe it was me who was snook'ered.

Some people get all huffy on the topic, but my opinion is that as long as we know the money isn't being sucked up by state bureaucrats to pay fiscal debts, as long as the money is assured to go toward the welfare of the fishery and wildlife, I'll pay happily.

It would sure generate a lot of money for research and law enforcement. I'd like to see more fish cops stopping all the schoolie poaching that goes on around here.
Old 10-03-2000, 04:38 PM

I figured everyone is too distracted right now to discuss but when I re-read the article I thought it was a good way to get people thinking.

Roop
Old 10-03-2000, 10:26 PM

I spent 1 hour composing a reply that supported you only to lose it as I was previewing it. My fault as I did something stupid. Had to share that w/someone. I am 100% for a license.........

Pete
Old 10-04-2000, 05:13 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Pete -

Damn! I wouldn't dare ask for a repeat but I wish to heck I could have read your views on the topic. Having spent years of your life in marine biology with research directly in New England species, I know it would be interesting and thought provoking.

As far as being "lost", unless you shut off the computer you can always go "BACK" using the back button in the browser, click-select the whole text, right mouse button "COPY" and paste it into Notepad or something. Then get back on line, and "PASTE" it back into the window, and voila! Another option is to type into Notepad in the first place and paste it when ready.

I used to use a free ISP that would periodically drop the connection if it felt like you weren't paying enough attention to the ads. This caused me to lose posts a lot, but the back thing does work.

I now use LYCOS free internet (not just because I work there). It will ask you to periodically click on the banner but it will not drop you.

Juro
Old 10-04-2000, 05:21 AM

ASMFC has a good paper on salwater licenses it should be available through their website. It involves the folks that have implemented licenses in their states and those that opposed them, it's quite informative.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.