Fly Fishing Forum banner

Handheld GPS/Chartplotter for Bahamas

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  figen 
#1 ·
Hello All,

Considering a DIY trip next May and am looking for a recommendation for a gps/chartplotter that has maps of the islands showing streets, etc. We would be fishing Eleuthera if that makes a difference.

Thanks,

Glenn

#2 ·
Hi Okiplug,

Sorry to say it, but you're chasing the goose that laid the golden egg if you want good maps of Eleuthera's road network. They just don't exist beyond rudimentary maps showing the Queens Hwy. and major roads around towns. Most importantly, any obscure or dirt track roads leading to bonefishy flats are rarely mapped.

There is a solution though; It's what my buddy and I did a number of years ago. Print out some simple maps of the island. Use Google Earth (which provides accurate Latitude/longitude data) to locate areas that you want to fish. Plot/record and set route waypoints and mileages on your map and on a simple handheld GPS.

For example, if you're headed Up South on the Queens Hwy. looking for a small track road spotted on Google Earth...you'll have a waypoint set at the turnoff as well as distances to your next turn or destination...works great!

Hope this helps,

Henry

#3 ·
Uhh. Print out? Why not use a smartphone with GPS and google maps?
On my android phone at least I can tell Google Maps to cache a fairly large area, so there is no need for data connectivity, and GPS works directly with the satellites so that should be fine as well. And you can customize it with locations beforehand. My island of choice is Abaco and the google maps in satellite mode has enough details to see the roads, no idea on Eleuthera.

Btw, hey Henry, still chasing them bones, huh? :cool:

#4 ·
Hey Figen,

Three years since I've had bone snot on my hands. Reason is mostly due to my workup towards retirement. I am now retired at 54 years old and am ready to fish my ass off.

Got at least a couple of trips planned that take me to Cuba and the Bahama's over the next few months as well as plans are in the works for a trip to Turneffe Atol in Belize early next summer. Want to take advantage of those migratory Tarpon they have there as well as the excellent permit and bonefishing.

You are "so" correct in regards to the smartphone...my intent was to offer a simple/cheap solution. In fact, my bud and I will still make good use of the L'utra maps with waypoint markings each trip down because it's just "so easy".

Glad to hear you're still in the game.

Henry

#6 ·
Henry said:
Three years since I've had bone snot on my hands.
:eek: :eek:

Contrats on the retirement, may the fish be strong and plentiful in this new phase!:)

I wonder how much closer I would be to retirement if I worked hard instead of screwing around chasing bones... but then again, I would probably be hit by a bus the day I was ready to reap the benefits, so I'll stick to my current plan and wade drunkardly around the flats at least a few times every winter... :biggrin:

Also, paper maps don't crash, rarely get stolen and almost never require a software update!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.