albies - Page 2 - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-09-2012, 02:35 PM

Fished the Morris Island area from shore , and although I didn't catch any albies I did catch a jack crevalle .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2012, 08:28 AM

I've been hearing they're around. Pretty crazy
Old 10-10-2012, 06:40 PM

Funny, I caught three yesterday, I was in disbelief until the third one which was big enough to make impossible not to know what they were.
JC
Old 10-11-2012, 07:40 AM

Any pictures of the jacks? I saw a mahi mahi was caught in pleasant bay recently.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:56 AM

I saw that picture of the mahi on the goose hummock website. That fish must have been pretty lost!
Old 10-11-2012, 03:17 PM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
Dave, I have heard firsthand from Garry and Paxton, both caught jack crevalle about a week ago at Hardings Beach. Paxton (Ron) would know they were jacks. He catches them annually at Sanibel. There was a picture of a jack caught on Morris Island on another site. And I can say it was a jack. Crazy huh?
Old 10-11-2012, 07:57 PM
_

Jim -- glad to see you back on the forum!

It would be a nice silver lining to the dark cloud of global warming if this became part of the jack crevalle's northern range. I've heard they are one of the strongest fighters in the sea and are often caught from the beach.

Several years ago I caught a couple of juvie amberjacks from a jetty in Falmouth, so maybe it's not too uncommon to see fish like this as occasional visitors, but I've gotta say that the mahi in Pleasant bay is rather bizarre!

Q
Old 10-11-2012, 08:29 PM

After figuring out what I'd caught, I looked crevalle jacks up to find out their natural range, according to what I read they show up as far north as Nova Scotia, so we're well within that.
JC
Old 10-15-2012, 07:34 AM

I saw the pic on the 'other' website. That's wild! I saw a puffer fish at Montauk a couple of weeks ago which was a first for me. Lot's of lost ocean "drifters" around this time of year.

To get back to the original topic, the albies seem to have thinned out considerably even at the late-season places. I was able to get a couple on Saturday at Montauk but there were far, far fewer fish than a few weeks ago. Watch hill was completley dead in the morning.

Jim good to hear from you. I'm coming out to PA/OH for some steelhead fishing in a few weeks...can't wait.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:12 PM

This AM, Pleasant Bay.
JC

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.