Sawfish in the Bahamas - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-27-2012, 10:42 AM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
Sawfish in the Bahamas

I didn't post this after my trip this spring, but I wanted to share one of the most incredible things I've ever seen fishing or otherwise. I was on South Andros in early April and the guide and I were moving to a new spot to try and get away from clouds when we went over something in a deep hole and he suddenly shouted "What the hell is that!?!?!?!"

We turned around and got over it and found a 25 foot sawfish, which as I understand is just a monster. The guide had never heard of anyone ever seeing one alive and only had seen a saw chopped off one by a US military guy that caught it (what a shame!). We followed it with the boat for a couple of minutes before the guide said "It's probably not a good idea to piss off a fish that's way bigger than the boat." so we let it go on its way.

It had 3 big cobia or jacks that were at least 3 feet long following along between its head and dorsal mirroring its every move. I'm sure they were there to scavenge from whatever it ate.

I'm sorry to say I don't have any pictures, but it's hard to take an underwater shot when the boat was pretty much on plane to try and keep up with it. I hope you all enjoy hearing about this incredible experience on a bonefishing trip, and I hope you get to see one of these someday in the wild.

P.S. I also saw a 15 foot lemon shark one day while wading. I was up to my waist and it started to come check me out, and I quickly went backwards towards a nearby sandbar that was out of the water. I don't mind the 5-7 footers that you always see on the flats, but a 15 footer is a man eater and not something I want to be near! I've never seen one bigger than probably 7 feet (at most) but the guide said you very occasionally see bigger ones like that.

PPS - I also saw what may have been a 20 pound bonefish on Andros. It got close enough that I could have almost touched it with my rod tip. I first thought it was a small shark swimming with some bones (so did the guide as he told me afterwards), then I thought the dorsal was the tail of one big fish and its tail was the tail of a second fish before realizing it was just one fish. It was surrounded by fish that were probably 6-8 pounders and they looked tiny. It was easily over 40". VERY easily. I got a couple of casts at it but the smaller fish were chasing my fly so I picked it up and put it back a couple of times nearer the big guy. I can't get that fish out of my head.

Last edited by teflon_jones; 08-27-2012 at 10:54 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2012, 11:09 AM
*** FORUM SPONSOR ***

Location: Western New York Steelhead, Bahamas Bonefish, Wild Western Trout
Incredible Scott! You never know what you may see in the ocean!!
God does not deduct from man's alloted time the hours spent fishing.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:57 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I watched some youtube vids of them feeding... they actually do saw fish into chunks with fast side to side motion and eat the chunks!
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 08-28-2012, 09:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince
Incredible Scott! You never know what you may see in the ocean!!
Yes, it's one of my favorite things about bonefishing trips is the incredible wildlife you get to see!

Quote:
Originally Posted by juro
I watched some youtube vids of them feeding... they actually do saw fish into chunks with fast side to side motion and eat the chunks!
I did too and there were a few videos of "HUGE" and "GIANT" sawfish but the biggest one I found was only 15 feet, which is still a very big fish! I haven't been able to find a single reference to anyone ever seeing one over 20 feet. This guy was every bit of 25 feet and may have been closer to 30. We were in a 17 foot boat and it was much longer than the boat! The saw alone was at least 5 feet and probably closer to 6 or even 7.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.