May the Rivers Never Sleep . . . - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2012, 01:17 PM

Location: Many. From NE salt, Russia, Canadian A Salmon, NW Steelhead, Bahamas, Keys. Live in Upstate NY
May the Rivers Never Sleep . . .

. . . by Bill and John McMillan. I just heard from Bill, that this new, long awaited book is now available from Amato and Amazon. I expect mine shortly. It promises to be one of the two most important books focussing on our anadromous fisheries in a long, long time. The other is Topher Browne's Atlantic Salmon Magic, published earlier in the year.

Following is a brief description from the publisher.

Bill and John McMillan, father and son, were initially drawn to rivers and salmon through angling. Following the footsteps of Canadian author and conservationist Roderick Haig-Brown, they gradually transitioned to a deeper learning about the lives of rivers through snorkeling. May the Rivers Never Sleep is a song of thanks to Haig-Brown's vision of rivers as calendars of life and places of revelation. The McMillan's river calendar-depicted through writings and photography was shaped by thousands of hours angling, observing and snorkeling to document the diversity and patterns of river life above and below water. From winter steelhead to water ouzel, their perspective is that rivers are only ever-wakeful because of the wild creatures within. As wild fish continue to diminish however, the lives of rivers remain unclear. This book is the McMillan's wake-up call to nurture at all costs the natural resilience of wild-fish populations and breadth of life they support so that rivers remain places of revelation for future anglers and scientists, as they have for the McMillan family.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	McM copy.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	7256  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2012, 11:04 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Awesome Bill - I suppose the early sedge pupae are starting to show on the rocks in the morning and summer runs are showing some blush on the cheeks.

Hey are you headed out for fall steel this year?
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 09-04-2012, 11:12 AM

Thanks for posting. I'll order mine soon.

-- Eric
Old 09-04-2012, 12:31 PM

Location: Many. From NE salt, Russia, Canadian A Salmon, NW Steelhead, Bahamas, Keys. Live in Upstate NY
Heading to New Brunswick next week, then the Methow in mid-October, a little trip to some place way, way south in February, OP in March . . . yolo
Old 09-05-2012, 09:29 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Well Bill, I hope we can coordinate our OP trips this year. Last year was very good it seemed for both of us... and the salmon runs are strong this year so fingers crossed that it's a sign of good ocean conditions for winter steelhead.

Good luck on the Methow, I have a skater you should try there...
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.