Rippin Lip at the South Tip Rip Trip - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-30-2000, 07:37 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Rippin Lip at the South Tip Rip Trip

Al was on a marathon hike mission and might have missed some of the sporadic action that did happen before the magic hour, so I thought I'd chime in and fill in a few bursts of action he may have missed while he did his tribute to "Marco Polo".

The first shot of action at the rip was immediate where bigcat had a fish bust on his yak fly before it was wet enough to get under the surface, first cast. A cast or two later, he landed his first fat schoolie and things looked like they were going to pop early. While some of us spread out to the surfline (east) or the Powder Hole spit (west), others hung out at the tip. It makes sense to hang out where it's like a different fishing spot every few minutes due to the current changes. The incoming rip was productive for the boat fishermen just out in front of us, but the fish did not appear to be very large as far as we could tell. Bigcat and Roop continued to get schoolies and a few blues as Dave Pearson set a new walking record to seek the mythical west side flats. In fact he did somewhere in the 10 mile range that day... phew! John Morin set claim to the east shore, bringing some nice lost lobster bouys from the outer limits. Al Deluca went off to explore both shores.

Just to the east of the rip, Charles had located a gorgeous mini-rip, where I saw some fish swirling in the nervous water. A cast or two later I was into a nice bass on a 4" sand eel pattern and it seemed like things were going to get good. Of course, that's when it got pretty slow and the sun came out to convert the south facing beach into a blast furnace.

The rip crowd got down to just a few clavers at one point while most went exploring during the depth of the slack tide / noon sun doldrums. As the day wore on, we fished through some very s-l-o-w times with mild current, no rip waves to speak of out there and any current was hundreds of feet offshore. I walked part way up the east surf side then up to Powder Point on the west side before deciding I needed a break. Having slept a couple of low-quality hours in my truck, I was fried in more ways than one. I came back to HQ and found that Greg Estey had landed a couple of nice bass, one being 36"! Even still, I took off my waders and spent a couple of hours relaxing with my lunch in my shorts and barefeet on a very opportune driftwood log that became our clave headquarters.

Then the tide turned and the water got nervous along the shore. Gregg hooked another nice fish, this one taking line hard. The fish came in and we are astounded by the thickness of their bodies... acsolute PIGS! Footballs! What Roop calls "Texas Stripers"! John Morin connects, and lands a "last year keeper" with a few extra pounds for it's length than typical. Being the third such hookup between 2:00 and 2:20 (my guess) I got off my butt and put on my waders. I tied on a 6" jumbo deep eel and set up in a promising spot. By now there was a certain electricity as the heat of the day started to wane and the rips began to set up along shore. For 10-15 minutes, we all fished in this sense of renewed promise. There were no birds or fish busting, but my senses were definitely tingling and I think everyone felt it because we were as perked up as the first hour in the morning.

Then, Mike Estey hooks up and the line screams out into the rip. I run up with my camera to capture the keeper-sized pig bass, then someone else hooks up, than another... I am snapping photos wildly and finally get back to my spot. I cast into the hole, swing the fly into the seam, and strip. Strip-strip. WHUNK! A heavy fish on! I look up - Gregg's on. I look down... John's on. Al works his way south from Powder Hole just in time to join the melee, and after switching to a bigger fly, is rewarded with a nice fish on his first cast. Roops on again. The Gregg. I run to take Roops photo, then Mike's, then Johns... in the back of my mind it occurs to me - hey I'm not fishing! Luckily I run out of film due to fish pictures.

I get back to my slot. Cast again... whack... missed it.... strip the fly almost to the leader and WHUNK! A large boil forms and the whole flyline screams out into the rip as Chris says "now that's a HOG". The backing starts to follow the line into the standing waves. I start following the fish, instead of clearing out the guys to my left I decide to stand and fight. Big mistake, the line angles deep into the rip until I only see backing going into the water. I start to pump but feel those big headshakes and suddenly nothing - he spit the fly. There were plenty more where that came from but somehow I really wanted to see that fish.

As Al says, this all started about 1.5 - 2 hours before our rendezvous with Keith and there was a 20 minute walk involved. We knew Keith was already there waiting because he buzzed us, but saw the rods bent and settled in at the pick-up spot to wait. He knew we weren't going to leave one second before our time - in fact I had to tell him he was lucky to get us so promptly because of the action we left behind!

Leaving that good ol' fashioned striper blitz was about the hardest thing I've done since I was a kid not wanting to leave the amusment park. That kind of action for that size and quality of fish is so very rare from shore on fly gear. Talk about kickin' and screaming! But Keith is our partner in crime so I packed my gear and made obvious gestures with my watch to remind the gang, who were very much in the heat of the moment. Sure everybody was just as interested in taking care of Keith as I was, but it's kinda hard to leave when you have a big fish on. Roop says "one more cast Mommy" and THUNK! He's runnin' down the bank with the drag screaming.

I turned my head away from it all, grit my teeth, and walked away. Al was ready to go too, good thing because I almost turned around for one more cast of my own! Even though it was hard to do, the feeling of accomplishment over the whole thing was overwhelming. Before we could get to the Rip Ryder everyone was walking right behind us, the dirty dozen, the rip conquerers, clave junkies walking away from some of the wildest shore flyfishing I've seen in a long time.

WE CAME, WE FISHED, WE CONQUERED!

>sigh< How will we ever be able to enjoy the typical stuff now?

THANKS TO ALL! (photos will go in for 1 hour developing this week)

BONECLAVE ANYONE?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2000, 11:35 PM

Send a message via ICQ to tomd
RE:Rippin Lip at the South Tip Rip Trip

hi guys,
what was the hot flie? size? color? of the day? I'm going to the cape on aug 12-29 anyone up for the trip again? or any other fishing during that time? let mme know. Tom D
Old 07-31-2000, 07:20 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

RE:Rippin Lip at the South Tip Rip Trip

The hot fly was BIG. BRIGHT worked too. Actually, the two best patterns were big squid and big sand eels. Most of us who were at the clave don't do the fixed pattern thing too often, meaning flies with tricky names invented ten years ago. I've noticed we tend to use a lot of the ideas and add our own. We might add silly names too.

So at the risk of sounding vague... good looking big squid patterns like the Estey boys use, and very big sand eel patterns that you can get a little 'hop' out of under the rip current on a sinking line.

When the pogies make it to the elbow of the cape you can expect to add juvies to the list.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.