Belize / Noob / Questions - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2012, 08:44 PM
Swinger of Flies

Belize / Noob / Questions

Hello - Been a long LONG time since I checked into the forums. Careers and fishing addictions really dont play well together. Got a couple questions for you saltwater / flats veterans.

FINALLY get to dabble in the flats! Im headed to Belize this summer. Not a dedicated fishing trip but will get a couple days in and some availability to fish on my own around the resort flats / islands. I cant completely ditch the girlfriend for fish. Going to try and get some bones, a baby tarpon or 2, and see if I can get a shot at a Permit. My hope is to cast at every freaking thing that swims! August is the time frame. Taking a 7wt and 8wt (Sage XP's and a backup RPLxi 8wt) on a Nautlis FWX and CCF respectively w/ 50# GSP. I've never needed to get all carried away on backing to flyline knots with salmon / trout / steel. What do you guys recommend for that connection?

At curent, I just take about 4 feet of backing and fold it in half. Then with that 2 feet I just do a double surgeons loop thats big enought to fit over the reel. you end up with 2 loops (same size) and a double, double surgeons. I use braided loops on the back end of my fly lines secured by a top and bottom nail knot with 50# gsp. I've never had the slightest problem w/ this and changing lines is a snap. Flats is a different animal though and seeing your backing seems to be more probable.

I'm going to tie up a bunch of leaders ahead of time (and some with wire for those speedy, toothy critters). Whats the norm for length, tippet size, etc?

Anyone have any pros / cons to the Rio bonefish lines? Yes, I can cast....

For flies, I'm probably just going to plunk down on an assortment (spendy though!)

Anyhow, figured you guys would have some good info. Thanks - Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2012, 07:09 AM

For the GSP you can make a bimini and then cut the loop, doble over and make a surgeon's if you think you really need it.

9-10 foot leaders 12# tippet shoud work for what you are doing. You might consider the knotless ones since Belize has a ton of grass flats.

For ambergris/turneffe I had the best success with small flies size 6-8. Make sure you have them in different weights (including no weight) and make sure some have weedguards.

The best line I have used (esp for wading) is the Wulff Bermuda Triangle.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:19 PM
Swinger of Flies

Thanks for the info. I'll be south of Turneffe and Ambergris.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:32 AM

As I recall, we had the best results with very light flies, no beads or chain. Weeds were a pain, need weed guards. And as far as knots go, make sure everything is really strong. The last thing you want to do is have a shot at a nice permit, have it take, and then lose your fly, leader or line. I hooked a big one in a school and my knot let go. Not a good feeling.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.