Eleuthera Report 4/23-4/29 - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2012, 05:37 PM

Eleuthera Report 4/23-4/29

Good afternoon all.

Just got back from Palmetto Point/Governor's Harbour area of Eleuthera, Bahamas. The weather system started very nicely in the low 80's, partly cloudy, NW breeze at 5-10 but a system from the west came in eventually turning the breeze 180 clockwise to the SE blowing 10-20.

The first 3-4 days were great with hot action on both the ocean (Atlantic side) and the west coast. I seemed to see more larger fish but fewer overal all. The last two days were colder with barely anything showing up on the flats. And that goes for the ocean side too. I spoke with a local dive/fishing charter guy and he clued me into the various crab hatches that were occuring and had noticed various size white crabs in the wash on the west side. Very camouflaged. I need to learn how to tie some little white crabs with claws raised in a defense posture with blue dots in the elbow joint. That is unless someone knows where I can but some.

Ten Bay looked much more fishy than in previous visits. And I got a chance to walk along the GHB airport which also looked awesome but I forgot my boots at home in Boston which ruled out covering as much water as I had hoped. ie, no Deep Creek, Rock Sound, or Half Sound.

Even was cheezy enough to cast to fish in Governor's Harbour. After multiple flies I found a crab that at least got a short take but couldn't set the hook.

This was my fifth time there in two years and since I don't cook dinners at the rental house the local bartenders and chefs are considering me a part-time local. The more people I get to know the smaller the community feels. What a great place.

This is really only year 3 for my bonefishing efforts and I'm learning how much I don't know. I'll start a seperate thread to ask some questions.

Feel free to reply with questions about the trip.

Marty

Last edited by MartyG; 05-07-2012 at 11:20 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2012, 06:35 PM
*** FORUM SPONSOR ***

Location: Western New York Steelhead, Bahamas Bonefish, Wild Western Trout
Sounds like a great trip Marty!

Were there a lot of other anglers?

I just had some friends and clients return from Eleuthera in March, and they had good fishing. They also reported seeing very few other anglers. I suspect all of the negative press about pressured flats and spooky bones has turned some people off. That's a good thing! Still plenty of bones on ELeuthera.
God does not deduct from man's alloted time the hours spent fishing.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:37 AM

...is this crab something like what you're looking for?

Hi Marty,

Funny you should ask about a small white crab fly pattern. Here's one I developed recently that I call the "Castanet Crab" Castanet (you know!, the musical instrument of Spanish decent..."clackity clack clack"?).

I patterned the fly to replicate the numerous small white ghost crabs that are all over the place at Savannah Sound.

This fly is tied on a #6 hook and is about dime sized.

I'll be posting the recipe sometime soon once I photo the "step-by-steps"

I've been to L'utra 7 times but not for the last 3 years...been taking care of business getting ready to retire this fall. Then it's "game on". At least a month on Eleuthera is in the offing.

Regards,

Henry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	castanettecrab01.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	7220   Click image for larger version

Name:	castanettecrab02.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	7221   Click image for larger version

Name:	castanettecrab03.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	7222  
Old 05-03-2012, 08:23 AM

Vince,

I only saw two other anglers there and one was with a guide chumming the water in Ten Bay and had a spinning rod setup presumably targeting cudas. They had no luck for the 20-30 minutes I saw them. The other guy was bonefishing in Ten Bay the day before and only saw cudas and some other smaller fish. Palmettos or Pompanos probably. I saw them the last two days when the cold front passed by. Water temp was 5 degrees below normal.

I explored much more on the ocean side. Parking at Tippy's and walking south was pretty decent. Also parking at Capt Jack's (south on the same road as Tippy's) abandoned beach club. Awesome beach, coral heads spaced nicely to attract bait fish and bones. Almost looks like Club Med beach but not as broad.

Henry,

Those flies look like the ticket. I need to buy a nicer vice and give that a try. If you have the recipe somewhere please share. That fly should work everywhere on Eleuthera.

Thanks for you reply.

Marty

Last edited by MartyG; 05-04-2012 at 01:30 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:36 AM
*** FORUM SPONSOR ***

Location: Western New York Steelhead, Bahamas Bonefish, Wild Western Trout
Nice flies Henry!!
God does not deduct from man's alloted time the hours spent fishing.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:53 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Wow fantastic patterns thx for sharing
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 05-03-2012, 07:26 PM

Henry,

Very cool fly. Do the runners make it stand up in fighting position? (Just saw the shrimp fly in the other post. Great idea.)
Reminds me a bit of the Avalon Permit fly. I have been experimenting on variations of that fly for bonefish making it smaller with glass beads.
Can't wait to see the pattern. You got me thinking.

Also there was a fly tied by a guy in Australia called the Click Clack fly. It used glass beads on the hook to create the clackity clack sound.

Walt

Last edited by Swalt; 05-03-2012 at 07:44 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:01 PM

Hi Walt,

Yes, the fly stands nicely with a defensive/fighting posture. Funny you should mention it...I was also inspired by the avalon fly after tying a few of them. But when I tested them in one of my tanks, I was dissapointed to discover that the Avalon fly lays on it's side when on bottom. I tried many things to tweek the pattern but the same problem kept coming back. Thats when I started experimenting. I got lucky and quickly found a solution. Instead of one mono loop on the Avalon fly...I tied in two!. One on each side of the fly and chose clear glass beads vs. metal beads (which I didn't like the appearance of). It worked!...the fly stayed upright on the bottom and had loads of rattle. The next prototype I tied, I cut the mono for the loops too short (DOH)...so ended up trying to salvage the fly so I finished it off in it's current configuration with the "V" mono stems as a last resort. "Worked even better than the dual mono loops" BONUS!!!

During tank testing of my flies (the Castanet Camarone and Castanet Crab fly)...I was extremely pleased to discover that the V-mono stems resulted in a very unusual action on the fly. When settled on the bottom, the fly stands upright of course...but when dragged!!!...that's when the game changed!. The flies teeter and nod; the whole while rattling like crazy. In the real world this could either be a good thing or a bad thing...we'll see once I get to show it to some fish.

Thanks for your kind comments Walt, Can't wait to see what you come up with.

Henry

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.