Rip Trip IIa - August 12 (alt 13th) - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2000, 11:16 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Rip Trip IIa - August 12 (alt 13th)

South Monomoy Point Excursion IIa

<center><font color="0000ff"><b>**** AUGUST 12 (alternate date August 13) ****</b></font><!--color--></center>

Here's your chance to commit to another South Monomoy Trip on 8/12 (alt 8/13)...<font color="ff0000"> IF YOU CAN'T MAKE THE 26 / alt 27 TRIP!!!</font><!--color-->

Date:
Date August 12th, Weather alternate August 13th. (You must be able to commit for both days)

Time:
We will need to be at the refuge lot by 6:30, the boat will leave at 7:00 am sharp - no time to wait for preparation on this trip. Return will be approximately 4:30 pm, after the last 4pm run from the local spots is complete. Expect to be back at the parking lot at 5:00 - 5:30 pm.

Cost:
The initial deposit will be $30, for a minimum enrollment of ten people. The charter costs $300 so the $30 will become your share of the fee given ten people. If we get two more, everyone will be refunded the difference ($5).

Notes:

1) Once you commit, the first ten people will be expected to provide their ($30) share of the cost... even if you can't make it. Of course every effort will be made to accomodate everyone in the most fair and equitable manner but those who commit should not expect to pay more than $30 per head even if people back out.

2) Bringing coolers and stuff will be a good idea, no one to hassle us out there. See earlier Monomoy Clave posts for great info on what to bring.

3) Safety via 2way devices and cell phones recommended, there will be lots of boats within an arms wave away in case of emergency (although no one else on shore)

Reply to this thread only if you are committing to pay $30 to participate in this excursion.

If we are unable to get ten people we can either increase the per person share or discuss another date on the other existing thread. Thank you for not replying to this unless you are ready to commit to the $30 deposit.

<font color="0000ff">If you are interested in August 26th, please use other signup.</font><!--color-->
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2000, 08:19 AM
Shark Bait

Send a message via AIM to Nick Send a message via Yahoo to Nick
RE:Rip Trip IIa - August 12 (alt 13th)

Juro,
Once again, I am in for the 12th as well.
Nick
Old 08-02-2000, 08:24 AM
i'm so outta here

Tides are less than ideal, but what the hell! Count me in.
Old 08-02-2000, 11:18 AM

I'm in for the 12th/13th!

Aug. 13th is my wedding anniversary, but my wife & I are going to book at an Inn in Rockport in the fall when the rates go down, so we've delayed our anniversary til then. Also, the 26th is check in day for our cottage, so that would be a logistical impossibility. GregO.
Old 08-02-2000, 11:45 AM
Recent Member

Sign me up for 1 seat.

Charles Whitehurst
Old 08-02-2000, 12:03 PM
Middle Aged Member

I'll do it then too. Got to make up for the post vacation fishing drought.

Fred A.
Old 08-02-2000, 12:27 PM

Finally- a date I can make!!! I'M IN!
Old 08-02-2000, 08:28 PM
LT 20

Juro,

I'm in along with Dave P too!

Thanks,
Craig
Old 08-03-2000, 12:18 PM

And I makes nine... one more for quorum, three more for the $5 discount.
Old 08-03-2000, 12:22 PM

Quorum met -- I'm in.

But Juro, how're you gonna track me down for the $? &lt;g&gt;
Old 08-03-2000, 12:45 PM
i'm so outta here

Jen Harvey (a.k.a. the love of my life) is in!! Grandma just gave us the nod. Anyone have a spare pair of waders to fit a 5'8" gal with a size 8 foot?
Old 08-03-2000, 03:44 PM

Al,
I've got an extra pair of neoprene bootfoots- 9s Let me know if you want them.
Old 08-07-2000, 06:21 PM

<font color="ff0000">*** FULL BOAT ***</font><!--color-->

THIS WEEKEND..

1) Nick
2) Al
3) Jen
4) Greg O
5) Charles
6) Fred
7) Marvin
8) Craig
9) Dave P
10) Juro
11) Mike P
12) John Morin

Please read the above instructions and we'll see you at 6:30 on the causeway. $25 per head.

Bring large sand eels and squid patterns. Also deceiver style flies. When the rip gets going the fish get crazy, and far less picky. It seems the best you can do is get their attention and make the fly look good to eat (pretty simple compared to flats sight fishing).

South facing beach - sunblock is a good idea. Light waders and lots of water advised. Bring everything you'll need.

Sinking lines are the rule but during incoming and slack the fish like it on top (intermediate or floating). The hot stuff is during the rip, when you'll need the sinking. If you bring one line bring the sinking.

Pray to the weather and fish Gods and see you Sat AM brite and early!

Juro
Old 08-11-2000, 10:47 AM
i'm so outta here

Well, Cabelas came through with the waders for Jen. So it looks like we are good to go. Thanks for the offer Marvin!

BTW, Cabelas has a large arbor disc drag reel that goes for $125. I got one along with the waders and strung it up last night with an intermediate on one spool and a Teeny on the other. For the Teeny, I used a Sci-Angler type II sink head I got from the bargain bin last season at Goose Hummock and 75 feet of Cortland exposed braid running line (would that make it a hybrid Teeny?). Behind that there's 200 yrds. of gelcore backing (great stuff -- 30lb test with the diameter of 20lb dacron). I have yet to cast it, but I have high hopes.

The junction of fly line to running line is simple: slip the exposed braid over the fly line and nail knot the overlap twice, about 4" apart. Slip shrink tube stuff over each knot and melt with a light bulb. (Alternately, use Pliobond over the knots, though this does increase the profile of the junction). Many thanks to Scott at the Bear's Den for all the help with this. If you're a tyer and have not yet checked out this shop located on 140 in Taunton, do yourself a favor and make the drive. They have an incredible selection and top notch staff.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.