Crooked Island trip Report - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-14-2012, 05:52 PM
*** FORUM SPONSOR ***

Location: Western New York Steelhead, Bahamas Bonefish, Wild Western Trout
Crooked Island trip Report

Once again, Crooked Island does not disappoint! The guides, the people, the food and the fishing--they all combine to make Crooked Island one of the best bonefishing destinations in the Bahamas. Many nice bonefish were landed, and the average size of the bones seems to have increased. Guests caught big mutton snappers, barracuda, jacks and more.

Below are some of the photos from our guests, and from the trip host, Dan Pangaldi, who once again got to spend two straight weeks on Crooked. Many thanks to Clinton & Kenny Scavella, Mike Carrol, Derrick, Randy, Jeffrey and Shakey, all great guides and people. Also, we owe Willie Gibson and the gang at Gibson's #2 a huge thank you for all of the great meals! The people of Crooked Island are one of a kind!

We'll be returning again in Spring 2013, and we already have reserved two weeks--March 16-23 & 23-30, 2013!

Here's what some of our guests had to say about this year's trip.

I am sure Teflon Jones will have a report too once he returns--I think he went on the Andros after Crooked island.

"Vince, I would like to THANK YOU for sponsoring a fantastic trip to Crooked Island in the Bahamas. Our host Dan Pangaldi did an outstanding job in making our trip organized, comfortable, and informative. The accommodations were very clean and pleasant. The dining was an excellent blend of Bahamian and and American cuisine. Willies home made bread was a treat every day. The guides were always on time, informative, and very hard working. They did every thing to make our fishing successful which included teaching and demonstrating correct techniques. Their ability to locate the correct flats to fish was excellent. I had a most enjoyable trip and can't wait for next years trip!"

Denny Mohan--Greensburg, PA

"Vince I had a great time on Crooked Island! Unfortunately the last day was almost a rain out (can't control the weather). I also had my shot at a permit earlier in the week. All the Crooked Island guides are experienced and well prepared for the day's adventure. Attached are a few Pic's you can share. Take care, hope you have me penciled in for 2 weeks next year at Crooked. I also may have a friend that wants to come and I will let you know when when he finally makes up his mind."

Hans Rackow--Calgary

"Hi Vince, just got back from Crooked Island and had a great time. The fishing was great and the guides put a lot of effort to put us onto fish. The wind was a challenge, but hopefully on my next trip I will be ready to deal with it. The reef fishing was a nice diversion and would like to do that again. I have attached some photos. Could you book me a spot for Crooked Island for the first week in March 2013. Thanks."

Rob Yee-Toronto

denny mohan with a nice 'cuda

typical crooked bone

host Dan Pangaldi with a nice bone

the villas where guests stay
God does not deduct from man's alloted time the hours spent fishing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2012, 04:10 PM
*** FORUM SPONSOR ***

sorry mistake

Last edited by Vince; 04-17-2012 at 03:37 PM.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:16 PM
*** FORUM SPONSOR ***

a few more from Crooked

Gail Gallo with a nice one!

Gail's husband Paul with a beauty

Paul with a nice 'cuda

the am pickup by the guides

dining at Gibson's
Old 04-17-2012, 10:30 AM

Thanks for the pics Vince, some nice looking Bones, good size. How many anglers can you take on the C.I. trips?

Charlie
Old 04-17-2012, 12:17 PM
In moderation

It looks cold.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:42 PM
*** FORUM SPONSOR ***

Pete, I was not there, but nobody complained about the cold. They did have a few windy days which probably made it feel cooler.

We can usually take 8 anglers, but might be able to take 10 with enough advance notice.

We already have 6 for the first week and 5 for the second week.

The bones have seemed a bit larger the last two years on Crooked, and they have been seeing lots of them up on the flats too!
Old 05-30-2012, 02:57 AM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince
I am sure Teflon Jones will have a report too once he returns--I think he went on the Andros after Crooked island.
Well I never got around to posting a trip report after I got back. I can't get my camera to connect to my computer to upload pictures either! I spent 6 days with Dan on Crooked (my first time there) and then went on to Andros for another 8 days of fishing. It was supposed to be 9, but due to an air traffic controller slowdown in Nassau I missed my outgoing flight and had to stay overnight.

I didn't get skunked in 14 days of bonefishing, though I did have a couple of days of singles. I also saw the biggest bone of my life on Andros that was probably 20 pounds (no joke!) and actually got a few casts to it, but it spooked before I could get a good cast and follow.

I had an awesome trip on Crooked and those villas we stayed in were awesome. They're right on the beach in an amazing location with breakfast/dinner a short walk away. It's very quiet and beautiful with comfortable beds, TVs for watching March Madness (if you're into that), and they're very new and in great condition.

The guides were great and got everybody on fish pretty much every day with very few slow days amongst the group. They also have 2 launch locations so when the wind was pushing up 5-6 foot seas in front of the villas, we'd drive to the west side of the island to Turtle Creek and run out in the protection of the lee side of the island. When the waves were down, they'd pick us up right in front of the villas and it was 20 minutes to the first fishing, and an hour at the most to run over to Acklins to the furthest spots.

I'd highly recommend this trip to anybody. I've done 2 trips with Vince now (Acklins and Crooked) and this was definitely my favorite over Acklins. The DIY on Acklins is a lot easier though so if you want a cheaper DIY trip, go to Acklins. If you want a guided trip, I'd go with Crooked.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:11 AM
*** FORUM SPONSOR ***

Scott, I am glad you had a great time! Post some pics if you can get them off of the camera.

Everyone had a great time both weeks, and both weeks are alomost full already for 2013, just with our returning guests.
I am thinking of adding a third week, but not sure Dan could get away for that long! (though he'd love to)

this might be one of your buddies
Old 05-31-2012, 02:14 PM

Yup Vince that is one of my friends. Ben is a buddy of mine from college.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:46 PM

camera problem

Teflon,

Take the SD card out of your camera and check your desktop/laptop to see if it has a built-in SD card reader. Most computers have them - even ones 5+ years old.

Explorer should be able to find your folders in the DCIM folder on the card.

Marty
Old 06-12-2012, 03:22 PM

Thanks for the tip Marty. I do have an SD slot but the card is the wrong size. I need to see if I have an adapter somewhere that will let me plug it in, or maybe the cord I'm using is bad and a new one will work.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:50 AM

After several years of DIYing to Andros, Long Island and Acklins I've decided to indulge myself with one of Vince's Crooked Island trips . Though still a long way off its nice having the trip to look forward to. My buddy and I will be doing the 2nd week. it'll be our 1st trip to Crooked.

Charlie
Old 06-29-2012, 08:57 AM
*** FORUM SPONSOR ***

Our first week on Crooked (March 16-23) is now full with ten guests. Teflon Jones and his crew filled out the week.
Our second week March 23-30 still has a couple openings.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.