Flats Glasses - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-14-2012, 10:43 AM

Flats Glasses

I'm about to invest in a pair of Rx Costas for the flats. Any opinions about lens colors. I've been looking at the dark ambers or copper for generally sunny conditions.

Thanks, Charlie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2012, 01:02 PM
okiplug

I've been using

the Costa Ballast glasses in amber for flats to offshore and everything in-between and LOVE them. Plenty of contrast and lots of protection in bright conditions but still sufficiently bright for early/late times of day. Looking for a wider frame style, I recently inquired about the copper colored lenses at a trade show and the Costa rep there said that copper would offer slightly more contrast but would be slightly darker too. I decided that I will stay with amber when I purchase my Caballitos.

Glenn
Old 04-16-2012, 07:45 AM

Thanks for the input Glenn,I'm leaning towards the ambers.

Charlie
Old 08-04-2012, 05:19 PM
Cert. Amateur Bugslinger

Lens Colors...

Hi,

Probably too late here, but I don't recommend amber lenses, unless you have very dark eyes or like headaches. ;-)

Probable the best for the flats is a copper or bronze color. Amber VLT (visible light transmission) is usually higher than these lenses, so might not be dark enough for bright sunny flats. Copper is darker, but not as dark as most grey lenses.

Speaking of grey, I'd stay well away from this color for shallow water fishing. Grey lenses are neutral---which is why they're often used for polarizing filters by photographers---so they provide no contrast boost to 'fishy' colors. Copper lenses do.

I guide many anglers and have had the frequent experience of having 2 buddies---1 with grey and the other with copper lenses---and the one with grey just can't see the fish. This has happened so many times I can't believe it's coincidence.

Finally, I'd look into the polarchromic lenses, the ones that get lighter or darker depending on the light conditions. These are definitely worth it and allow you to fish earlier and later without having a second pair of glasses.

Tight lines,
Bonehead

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.