Hardy ProAxis Sintrix - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2012, 05:13 PM

Hardy ProAxis Sintrix

Anyone have first hand experience with these rods. I'm still looking for a 4 piece #8 bonefish rod to add to my arsenal ( T&T , Sage RPLX )and don't have the option of test casting. Other two rods in my radar are Sage XI3 & Orvis Helios.
Seems like rod manufacturers these days are putting a lot of emphasis on resins and I always thought its the actual fibers that are the most important component in rod construction. Thought that resins mainly adhered and held the fibers together & were not such a contributing factor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2012, 08:20 AM

I don't usually plug products but yes, I have the 4pc 10 and it is an outstanding fly rod. I lost an Xi2 last summer and replaced it with the Sintrix. I don't see myself going back to Sage after using the Hardy and will most likely buy a 9 as well.

The rod itself is extremely lightweight. It is not quite as stiff through the butt section as the sage but has plenty of backbone and is very fun when pulling on large ocean creatures. I can cast a 500 grain line all day with the Hardy which would have been a lot of work with the Sage. The Hardy feels much lighter in the hand.

My favorite feature is the Hardy's durability. I put mine through the wringer on albies last fall and it performed well. When fishing solo, high-sticking near the boat to grab the leader is an unfortunate neccessity. There were multiple occasions last fall where I am sure I would have snapped my sage, including fish shooting under the boat and nailing the blank to the gunnel or clinking the tip section on the lower unit. The rod survived my occasionally sloppy fighting technique with heavy leaders on more than a few occasions.

The ferrules on the Hardy are superior and don't require constant waxing like the sage. They rarely loosen up and never get stuck.

The Sage is prettier, has nicer cork and I prefer the Sage reel seat. The hardy has recoil guides which take a bit of getting used to, but again, are extremely durable and don't corrode.

I did send the Hardy back at the end of the season due to a loose cork ring and they replaced the butt section quickly and free of charge (minus s/h). There is a warranty resource in the US.

The only comparable rod on the market IMHO is the Loomis NRX which is a touch stiffer and actually might be a better bonefish rod - might be worth checking out.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:04 PM

Thanks for your input & detailed account Dave.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.