Tarpon opportunities at Deadman"s Cay, Bahamas? - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2012, 02:43 PM

Tarpon opportunities at Deadman"s Cay, Bahamas?

Will be off to Deadman's Cay, Bahamas primarily to wade and sight fish bones during the second week in May. Will be going to both the inside and the outside flats. I know the bones are there, but what about tarpon opportunities? Actually, for this trip I don't intend to take too much gear and was hoping that if there are tarpon around, they would be baby tarpon that I could handle on my 9 wt rod. I want only sight fishing and don't want to have to dredge for tarpon, nor do I need to be chasing rolling tarpon to keep me happy. So, are the enough baby tarpon in and around Deadman's Cay to keep me happy? However, if there are "good" larger tarpon opportunities, I don't want to foolish and miss out...so let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2012, 09:29 AM

I've made 2 DIY trips to that area and never seen a Tarpon. There are supposed to be some in the salt pan areas south of Clarence Town. You'd probably need someone with local knowledge to point you in the right direction.

There's a very good chart book that shows the area and access roads. "Explorer Chartbook Far Bahamas" by Monty and Sara Lewis. In addition to Long Island it has all the out islands.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatsfisher
I've made 2 DIY trips to that area and never seen a Tarpon. There are supposed to be some in the salt pan areas south of Clarence Town. You'd probably need someone with local knowledge to point you in the right direction.

There's a very good chart book that shows the area and access roads. "Explorer Chartbook Far Bahamas" by Monty and Sara Lewis. In addition to Long Island it has all the out islands.
We will have a guide for the trip. I just don't want to take extra gear if I don't have to; and from what I can see from the paucity of responses from the several forums I've posted the question on (none of which jumped up and down about tarpon), I'm thinking that the 9wt will do, if needs be.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.