Beulah bluewater fly rods - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2012, 11:16 AM

Beulah bluewater fly rods

Anyone have any experience with these rods ? Looking @ their blue water #8 for bonefish , like the idea of the extra tip but a little skeptical about its weight @ 5 oz. Trying to decide between the above or TFO's BVK. @3.2Oz. Any thoughts/ opinions/ reviews ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2012, 09:29 AM

I've used both rods extensively. Though quite a bit different I do like them both. The BVK is light, as you noted, is very easy to cast, and casts well with the designated line weight. The Beulah Bluewater 7/8 is a strong rod that takes a bit of casting technique to cast well. For bonefishing, I would definitely use the eight weight on it. It even casts a nine weight quite well. For fishing like flats fishing, I don't find rod weight to be a big issue. Normally, you just don't cast often enough for it to be a problem. But having said that, if you feel differently, you'll absolutely notice the difference between them. One clear distinction is that I find the Beulah to be much better to use when approaching the 15-20 knot wind levels so often encountered on the flats. The BVK has most of its action in the tip, whereas the Bluewater models have a stiff tip and a very strong butt with the casting flex (what there is of it) in the middle third of the rod.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.