best flats day bag - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2011, 09:50 PM

best flats day bag

Been pretty quiet around here lately so I thought I'd wake things up a little.
Looking for some first hand reviews and/or oppinions on the ultimate day pack (not sling type) for flats fishing remote atolls. I don't need to get into details on the necessary items required to carry along , those who have done it and used one know exactly what is needed and what works ! Needless to say it obviously has to be functional , comfortable to wear for long periods throughout the day without impeding with fly casting and preferably suspended somehow to allow air flow between the pack and your back . Side pockets or equivelent attachments to faciliate carring a second rigged rod are also a must and an integrated fitted rain cover for those unexpected downpours would also be nice although a serarate cover would be another option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2011, 06:53 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I've got the simms dry creek, sealine rolltop pack and patagonia's old pod bag. Only the sealine is immersible. Do not get the clear one or the condensation from solar rays will steam everything inside.

Access is best on the Simms. The patagonia bag has a zipper that is unusable. Neither are truly waterproof like the sealine.

If I had the time and materials I am certain I could come up with a bag that would make me happy on the flats and there's no commercial solution that does it all IMHO.

and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 12-09-2011, 09:03 AM
*** FORUM SPONSOR ***

Location: Western New York Steelhead, Bahamas Bonefish, Wild Western Trout
For the flats I use the William Joseph Surge fanny pack. No zippers--all magnets. It's awesome.

If I need to take more gear and an extra rod, I'll bring a light back pack to wear, like the Patagonia Fuego.

I would never buy another fanny pack for the salt that has zippers when I have the option for magnets.
God does not deduct from man's alloted time the hours spent fishing.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:19 AM

I'm with Juro in that there is nothing 'ideal' commercially available. Lots of ok solutions, but nothing perfect.

Based on everything I learned from a thread a few years ago (Forum Exclusive - custom designs!) I settled on the Patagonia Double Haul sling. I'm not a sling fan and nor are you interested in one, but it seemed to have the most going for it of the available products at the time.

I too spend long days on the flats self supported and would really like the right fishing pack system.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:15 PM

All the packs mentioned in the replies above are specifically manufactured by/for the fishing industry and ironically they all seem to fall short of what most would consider to be the ultimate or even ideal daypack however there are many other manufacturers of good quality packs that may be a siutable alternative . Similar to fishing boats , none can perfectly do it all and so there are compromises. I have been looking @ quite a few lately and a hydration pack called the fourteener made by Camelback has caught my attention. You can remove and refrigirate or even freeze the water bladder the night before and insert it back in it's insulated compartment for the day's fishing to ensure plenty of hydration or remove it and elimiate it.
I don't think the problem would be a functionality issue as much as it would be comfort . One can visually and physically assess functionality fot it's intended purpose but you don't get to test wear it all day loaded with the essential items casting a flyrod in the intended enviroment to assess comfort.
So the search continues !

Last edited by sidelock; 12-11-2011 at 08:31 PM.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:01 PM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
I don't use a pack at all. I carry a small fly box stuffed to the gills, sunscreen, nippers and forceps with retractors on my shirt, bug spray, extra tippet and an extra leader in my shirt pocket, and that's about it. I don't carry water because you usually visit the boat often enough to get a drink when you need it. I much prefer the minimalist side to carrying a lot around with me.
Old 12-18-2011, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teflon_jones
I don't use a pack at all. I carry a small fly box stuffed to the gills, sunscreen, nippers and forceps with retractors on my shirt, bug spray, extra tippet and an extra leader in my shirt pocket, and that's about it. I don't carry water because you usually visit the boat often enough to get a drink when you need it. I much prefer the minimalist side to carrying a lot around with me.
I meant getting dropped off in the middle of nowhere . No boat or car to go to for the entire day and knowing for certain you will also be runnning into other critters that will definitly require more substance than the bonefish stick you are fishing with. A second rod rigged and ready to shoot from the hip.
Old 12-19-2011, 03:22 PM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidelock
I meant getting dropped off in the middle of nowhere . No boat or car to go to for the entire day and knowing for certain you will also be runnning into other critters that will definitly require more substance than the bonefish stick you are fishing with. A second rod rigged and ready to shoot from the hip.
I often do this when I'm trout fishing and in general I can fit everything I need in my vest, but sometimes I bring along a backpack. I've never been in a situation on the flats where I've needed more than what's in my pockets. I've done some marches on Acklins where I'm miles and miles from the car and boy it would have sucked if my rod had broken or something else happened!
Old 12-19-2011, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince
For the flats I use the William Joseph Surge fanny pack. No zippers--all magnets. It's awesome.

If I need to take more gear and an extra rod, I'll bring a light back pack to wear, like the Patagonia Fuego.

I would never buy another fanny pack for the salt that has zippers when I have the option for magnets.
I cannot agree more....best I've ever had.The mags are the way to go and after two years are just as strong as day one.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:44 PM

Harken Back Pack

If you really need to pack some gear I'd recommend this bag from Harken. They make the best hardware for racing sailboats and some decent personal gear as well.

http://www.harkensport.com/mm5/merch...y_Code=luggage

There are 4-5 different sections including a large ventilated compartment for a wet shirt or jacket. There is even a small pocket that is microfleece lined for sunglasses.

There is a stiffener in the back to spread the weight and provide support as well as wide shoulder straps. The back plate is padded and ventilated as are the straps. There is a handle at the top for easy carrying.

A second rod, net or other gear can be affixed to the built-in bungies on the rear of the pack.

I bought this for sailboat racing and know that it rocks.

Go for it. You can't go wrong if you need to carry a lot of gear.

Marty
Old 01-08-2012, 09:20 AM

day bag

My routine was to ride my bike 10-15 miles form anything and hit the flats. I had no trouble carying gear for a day. I found a camelback to be the best for this activity. I first used a small M.U.L.E that held a 1.5 liter of water and a small amount of gear that I stole from my biking gear. After the time on the flats increased and the real long day I ran out of water, I went bigger. I now use a camelbak HAWG with a larger capacity. It is by no means huge and after fishing with it for one day I stopped noticing. Also it makes carrying a second rigged rod easy. I had enough room for 2 reels and 2 small fly boxes a radio, sandwitch and extra water. In the smaller outer compartment I carried a camera, energy bars, tools and pre-rigged leaders with spare tippett. I bought a military style one that was covered in slits to attach gear on the outside. Very useful for pliers, snips and knives. I think it is a great pack for the day and it rides high on your back so you can wade pretty deep without getting it wet.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:56 AM

I have a small one strap back pack that I have used for years when DIY or when I know I will be away from the boat for the day. It has decent back support and having the one strap you can just slide it around so its in front of you if you want to get something out of it instead of having to take it off. I got it over 10 years ago at REI. It is getting worn and the zippers stick at times which is aggravating so I have been looking for another. REI no longer carries them but in looking around I ran across the Sitka S-type Gearslinger. This pack looks like it could do what my old one has done even better. What do you guys think of it? Kind of pricey but has plenty of pockets and such for leaders etc.
They also have other neat packs that might suit you better.
http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/...ger-2p1566.htm
Old 01-10-2012, 08:53 AM

Hey Walt, Does this bag look a lot smaller than the one use? I see that it has 618 cubic inches capacityLL.Bean has a waterproof sling bag in my latest catalogue. Its a little less money and almost double capacity.Item code is KH261164.

Charlie
Old 01-10-2012, 11:20 AM

Charlie, from looking at that pack and comparing it to the one I used I think that one is as large or larger. I don't know what the capacity of my bag is. I would not want to go too much larger. The LL Bean pack looks nice too. I am going to consider it. Another thing to consider is it suitable as a carryon bag for flying. The one I have now is small enough to fit under the seat in front of you. I use it as my second carryon item. The first being my rod and real bag. I think the Gearslinger would be small enough for this.
Walt

Last edited by Swalt; 01-10-2012 at 11:40 AM.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:21 PM

Those bags certainly look well made Walt, the one you listed looks rather large for a sling type. After looking @ several makes & models I decided on a Deuter Futura 22. It is a very simple day pack but I can strap an additional rigged rod to it ( my main reason for carring a pack ) unlike the sling type. What I like most about it is that it has a very light metal frame with a suspended , streched mesh webbing that rests on your back which leaves a nice gap for air to flow between the pack and your back, insteda of having the back of the pack agains your back in the heat. It is also hydration bladder capable ( 3 liters ).
I will still wear my handy hip pack with it's usual content and the day pack will be used primarely to carry the additional rigged rod , larger streamers and poppers , spare spool with a sinking line etc. and other necessities I would not normally need if I were just chasing bonefish. It will also be used as a carry on.
It will need a little tweeking here and there as well as some add ons but it's a good start for my intended application.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.