Rhody Experiences from the past... - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-17-2000, 10:34 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Rhody Experiences from the past...

Before the weekend, it would be valuable to discuss our experiences from the area for the sake of those who are headed down there.

I'll go first...

1997 - November. A desperate pair of flyflingers seeking to cling to a fading season head for Rhody. We arrive at Pt.Judith at pre-dawn. No one is out on the rocks, there are only about 5 cars. One fly guy and the rest spin. The fly guy is hitting some nice schoolies in the corner surf right by the parking area. Birds are working way out of reach. We decide to head for beaches further west hoping for sand vs. rock and outgoing breachway currents.

Arrive Matunuck. Tide is running hard over the 'hole', right to left. We stay on the shoal that is to the west of the hole at the clubhouse. Surf is big, current is hard. One other fisherman, and several surfers. Yes, surfers! We elect not to switch to serious sinking lines and after an hour head further west.

Arrive Charlestown Breachway. Current roaring out of the breachway. Many, many fishermen on the east jetty and down the beach for miles. Huge shad flipping in a giant school hundreds of yards long.

A guy throwing lead-head rubber shad hitting fat short one after the other in the center of the channel. No fly line in creation can get me in the zone, so I move to the beach. Surf makes Nauset look like a pond, soaked from head to toe. Stake out the corner of the east jetty when the guy there leaves. Blues being caught up and down the beach.

Schoolies show up in the corner, I hook up consistently on a juvie pattern still using intermediate line. Fish busting out further, so I take a spot on the jetty rock cropping midway on the east side. Practically roll casting off the slippery rocks, more schoolies consistently letting the fly work slowly while the surf moves it around between strips. No bait showing other than huge shad.

Moved up the beach. Cut off by a blue. Lots of fish being caught on bait on bottom (blues). Move back to rocks.

Check out Quonny. Tide now rushing in. Schoolies busting on west side of inlet, fly guy hammering them. We are on east shore, so walk inside to estuary. Shad show, I take the role of shad stud as I can not seem to keep them off my line. Poor man's tarpon. Small silverside pattern. Large flies are bumped or ignored. Walk out to tip of east jetty. Rocky, nasty spot but must be fishy at times. Lose a couple flies on rocks trying to strip with incoming tide. Silversides are everywhere.

Decide to eat. Warm place, beer, Italian food, kiss of death - decide that was enough for the day and drive home. All in all a decent day but all schoolies... good to be out in November though.

Next... 1998
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2000, 12:34 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

RE:Rhody Experiences from the past...

Thanksgiving weekend, 1998...

Single desperate fly flinger clinging to the season, heads down to the Rhody coast after seeing too much sterile water up north. Started at Quonny, worked the outside on the outgoing tide. Some nice schoolies in the rocks (east jetty) but big blitzes going on along the west Quonny beach. Boats coming out and heading straight for them, 4x4 vehicles chasing them from the beach. Pretty slow on the end of the east jetty, so I turn my cheek on the west beach blitzes and work my way into the estuary.

The cove just to the right of the ramp had a nice current seam from point to point, so fished that. Walked in the shallows on the backside, out around the channels further north, etc. A schoolie there, a shad here. Nothing to write home about. Discussed strategy with a few other fly fishermen, took an early lunch to warm up.

After lunch, decided to go into search mode. Headed for East Beach. As I took the last stretch of beach, I noticed a thick concentration of birds whirling close to the ground. The mounds of dune sand blocked my view of the water, but I thought to myself "there must be someone with a loaf of bread". I parked my truck and noticed that the bird activity extended as far as the eye could see in both directions. Now anxious, I jumped from the truck and climbed the dune.

HOLY COW! There was an all-out blitz about two miles long going on with birds in tornado twirls, bass busting up the surface, bait flying out of the water everywhere, and all this in the first few waves from the sand.

I stumbled down the dune, got my stuff together and ran back onto the beach. I forgot my stripping basket, damn! No matter, I cast into the big surf. Strip. Strip strip. THWONK! Fish on! First cast! After a few fish and many wasted minutes dealing with the line around my legs, I went back to the truck. Clearly the birds and bait had moved down the beach (eastward). I spotted the oversand access and despite having no RIMS ticket I ventured onto the sand about 3/4 mile. Once the concentration of bait and birds got too much to bear, I stopped and stumbled out again to a non-stop striper blitz that appeared to stretch for miles, as far as the eye could see. Biggest blitz I have ever seen, to this date.

Eventually, the birds and bait moved further and further east. My arms were sore, my thumb was worn ragged and I was ready to face the winter. The sun started to fall on the horizon and the cold air felt heavy on my hands and face. Although the action had subsided, I pulled out my video camera and filmed a moment of the sunsetting on the season... that's the clip I put up in the info page.

Probably the most satisfying end of season outing I've ever had!

1999... Rhodyfest I
Old 10-18-2000, 09:15 PM

RE:Rhody Experiences from the past...

Juro, I know you are headed for BC, but I wanted to comment on your running your truck on the beach, I don't care, BUT the fine if the DEM catches you is $250. I don't want to see someone get caught doing it because you got away with it. I have been stopped on the beach many times.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.