It's snowing! - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-16-2011, 03:34 PM

It's snowing!

Hit the local river this morning just at daylight. Frost on the car windows and dark grey skies. Fished the east side of river with no results but had a nice fish roll right in front of me. As I was crossing the foot bridge and looked down into a side channel I see 3 steelhead on the side of the seem. I go back down to river and make some difficult casts for them due to the bridge and bushes. No luck so I head back across the bridge and those fish were gone. On the the west side of the bridge there is another side channel that is shallow about 18 inches deep. There are old chinook spawning there and all of a sudden my eyes see a nice steelhead sitting just above the tailout and behind the spawning fish. I go down that side of river and try and sneak up on fish and I have gone to the evil egg patern and split shot, just matching the hatch. No luck so I go below the tailout and faster covered water. First cast and I hook the train. Big old chinook bright red but no fungas yet, what a pain in the a** takes 20 minutes to get him in but I bet he weighed 20 lbs. I keep fishing down the gravel bar and it is now snowing like crazy can hardly see across river. Nothing nothing and I'm running out of water to wade. I'm cold, my waders are leaking and I say to my dog this is enough. As my last cast dead drifts and swings through to dead down stream and I'm reaching my hand down to reel in BAM! steelhead on, bright too. Doesn't fight well but she was a wild hen about 6 pounds and major net marks around her mid section. I let her go and walk out in a snow storm and home to make some coffee and feed the dog, ducks and chickens and hopefully not snow blow the driveway.
There Fred, a bit of a story for you.
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2011, 04:26 PM
Middle Aged Member

Thanks, I needed that. My minds eye pictured it well.

So you must be all moved into the new digs. Lots of family stuff going on here. Going to be a grandpa in March, son got engaged and I'm still working . Real estate prices are in the tank but there's a Buddist Temple going up beside the farm and they could use our land so here's to hoping. Striper population is down and will be for awhile so I need to find a second pastime/obsession before I semi-retire. Calender pages are flipin faster all the time. Several years ago your (Tracy's) blog and the VOR provided a welcome diversion during some tough times. Unbelievably, the VOR has started again and I've got something to check on when the daily drudgery at work gets a bit much (not much to see on the damn fishing sites). Anyhow, on the sail down to Capetown vtloons prodegey is in the lead.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:59 PM

Then come see us and our new house. Fishing would be included.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:52 PM

Fred, that was some first night of racing, eh? Talk about separating the men from the boys in a hurry.

I'll do one trip fighting the crowds in Pulaski, then it will be skiing unless I can find my way to some shallow & warm.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:35 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Steve - that was almostt as good as a fishing trip thanks

I am heading to Felton's at Acklins as well as Seattle late winter steelhead (business trip to boot!) but that's probably it until spring unless I get a wild hair to go to Puerto Rico for tarpon. I was thinking about hitting the "T" but the calendar filled up in a hurry.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2011, 10:17 AM

Fred, one of the owners of Boreal was the manager of Puma before he he came aboard the Boreal company. He sailed from Europe to the USA on the first long trial run of one of their earlier boats. The stories were as good as they get, those are some tough dudes sailing those water born space ships.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:50 PM
Middle Aged Member

http://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/PUM...4110/news.html

Ouch, tough break for Puma.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:46 PM

They're probably lucky it happened when it did, instead of further south when the winds have picked, up ripping along at 25+ in heavy seas.
JC

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.