Landlock Salmon Advice? - Fly Fishing Forum
The Quintessential Trout Trout angling is the core of flyfishing worldwide.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-22-2011, 05:46 PM

Landlock Salmon Advice?

Hi all -

Dying to catch a landlocked salmon (bucket list, and all), knowing that I'm not exactly living in prime area (Boston)! I've tried the Stillwater several times I've the years in the fall and I've struck out big time!

Would love some advice from anyone around here who has had any luck in this game - no secret spots required - just some insights!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2011, 07:56 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to scruffy_fish
I'd look north to NH. The fall season has been red hot. Several over 24" taken and released. The crowds are there, but you can expect that when the fishing is good. Seasons only open for another week, so you better plan a trip soon.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:25 AM
Fly chucker

Maine is also a good area to check out, and you don't have to go as far north or east as Grand Lake Stream. Feel free to PM me for more detailed information.

I have caught more landlocked salmon incidentally while nymphing trout than I ever have throwing streamers and targeting them...but I guess that's how it goes sometimes.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:03 PM

I don't know when the season ends in Maine these days, but the Little Kinnebago in the Rangely area is a good fall landlocked river. As above, my success came on rather small nymphs and caddis larva style flies fished dead drift.
Jon
Old 10-24-2011, 08:15 PM

Jay, are you focused on stream/river, or is canoe/skiff on lakes a possibility for you ?
Old 10-25-2011, 05:44 AM

Thanks for all the input all - i think reality is I need to get serious about this and plan a trip a little more in advance next fall - disappearing for a weekend to NH or Maine right now after spending a long weekend last weekend fishing on Naushon might not fly to well here at the ol' homestead!
Old 10-26-2011, 06:44 AM

timing is everything

I have been fishing the still with some success over the past few years. There has been a good run of fish this year thanks to steady rains. Rather than pound the water all day I try to go sunrise/sunset for 3-4 hours to try and intercept the more aggressive fish that are moving in from the reservoir. I usually swing/strip streamers and wolly buggers.

Another option is to walk the high banks on a sunny day looking for individual fish. I did this upriver yesterday and saw 5-6 fish, one of which I caught on a san juan worm.

I usually don't get in the water unless I see a fish I'm going to cast to. The dark bottom of the river makes them nearly impossible to see unless you have a high vantage point. I also don't want to step on any redds.

I beleive the Wachussett is the southernmost naturally reproducing LL fishery in the country. I don't expect to catch anything when I fish it's tribs but it's pretty special when it comes together. They are impressive looking fish for sure.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:49 AM

Great info - thanks Big Dave!
Old 11-01-2011, 03:59 PM

Saw some good Landlocks while fishing a local Lake Champlain river today. One about 24" took a couple of half-hearted passes an an Intruder type fly. One about 20" chased and struck hard at a Green Butt Skunk, but failed to connect. JimD noticed the 24" fish had a Mepps lip stud....must have been a teenager. Landlocks and Browns are in the river, but they are more interested in spawning than eating.

Last edited by vtloon; 11-02-2011 at 04:55 PM.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:45 AM

I spend most of my time chasing salmon and brook trout up here. There are a few spots down sout that are still open, but the only "big name" salmon riverthat is still open is the East Outlet of Moosehead- headwaters of the Kennebec. There is about a 1.5 mile stretch of FFO/C&R water open year ' round. This is a good time to go... everybody is deer hunting.

All the rivers in Rangeley are now closed as of 10/31. The Dead River below Flagstaff dam is open until the end of November, but the flow is 1900 cfs- fishable is 700-800 tops.

If you want to catch salmon the way it is supposed to be done- go the West Branch in June.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:37 AM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dble Haul
Maine is also a good area to check out, and you don't have to go as far north or east as Grand Lake Stream. Feel free to PM me for more detailed information.

I have caught more landlocked salmon incidentally while nymphing trout than I ever have throwing streamers and targeting them...but I guess that's how it goes sometimes.
+1 to all of this. The most successful guys on GLS use trout nymphing techniques to land them. Personally I'm a streamer guy and throw big stuff at them and have caught many over the years.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalthoff
Hi all -

Dying to catch a landlocked salmon (bucket list, and all), knowing that I'm not exactly living in prime area (Boston)! I've tried the Stillwater several times I've the years in the fall and I've struck out big time!

Would love some advice from anyone around here who has had any luck in this game - no secret spots required - just some insights!

Thanks!
Give me shout. That's what I do right here in MA.

Old 12-15-2011, 06:02 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

That thing's massive Sully looks like an ocean run fish
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 12-15-2011, 05:22 PM

The Swift River in Belchertown Ma has been loaded with LL salmon for two months. Streamers, glow bugs and orange bodied soft hackles from 12 to 14 do the trick.

Those pictures - is that a spinning rod?????
Old 12-17-2011, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juro
That thing's massive Sully looks like an ocean run fish
Hey Juro,

Nope it's just a landlock. A pup compared to this beast of another fisherman I met. By the way that's my new water sled in the first pix. It came all the way from the Pacific NW. Lemme know when you want a ride. ;-)

Merry Christmas.

millerbrown, No it's not a spinning rod. But get a grip would that make any difference?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.