Fishing in SW Florida - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2011, 04:36 PM

Send a message via AIM to highway61
Fishing in SW Florida

Unlike many of you, I have never fished in the saltwater outside of the northeast. After reading about destinations I could afford, I decided that SW Florida is where I would like to fish. I am planning to go in April. I am especially interested in the Everglades, but would consider other locations. I am hoping to pursue any and/or all of the following: tarpon, snook and redfish. Since I have no experience in that locale I am looking for advice. For those of you who have fished there I would appreciate any and all advice that you have. I especially want recommendations about guides/charters, inexpensive lodging, where I could fish out of a kayak, and places to wade (w/o being gator bait) books, and any other advice that would make my trip more enjoyable.

Thanks,

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2011, 10:52 AM

I've only fished in the keys but if you're thinking SW, I would look up Joe LeClaire. He would be a good guy to go fishing with I would think. He's been friendly enough when I chatted with him, helpful with advice when I was screwing around kayaking for a day in his neck of the woods, and he has a great kid who is about my son's age.
Old 11-04-2011, 05:46 PM

Steve, Ned Small (Sightfish.com) is my go to guide for the Glades and 10,000 Islands. Kevin Mihaloff is also very good for back country Snook. Joe is probably a good choice too; he's very good up North. I'll give you a call to trade some ideas on logistics. My old winter stomping grounds.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:18 PM

Ned Small

+1 on Ned Small - got me my 1st (and only) tarpon. Great guy, knows his stuff and will work hard to get you fish if you are willing to work hard too. Originally from the Cape, I believe. Guides out of Everglades City - not sure about lodging?
Old 11-05-2011, 08:31 AM

Captain Bill Blanton is one of numerous terrific guides in that area (239.253.8899.) Places to stay are quite limited. There's the Everglades City Motel and the Ivey House. We stay at the Ivey, but choose to stay in the cabin rather than one of the rooms. There's only one cabin so book early. Places to eat are even more limited. The only really good food is at the Camilla Street Grill. It's an open air setting and can be hot during much of the year.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highway61
Unlike many of you, I have never fished in the saltwater outside of the northeast. After reading about destinations I could afford, I decided that SW Florida is where I would like to fish. I am planning to go in April. I am especially interested in the Everglades, but would consider other locations. I am hoping to pursue any and/or all of the following: tarpon, snook and redfish. Since I have no experience in that locale I am looking for advice. For those of you who have fished there I would appreciate any and all advice that you have. I especially want recommendations about guides/charters, inexpensive lodging, where I could fish out of a kayak, and places to wade (w/o being gator bait) books, and any other advice that would make my trip more enjoyable.

Thanks,

Steve

Hi Steve,

Tried to p.m. but technical reject; wonder if you made that trip and if so can you help?

A friend and I from the UK have fly fished the Cape for our annual trip for a week for the last 6 years - fewer and fewer Stripers around so sadly we're looking at an alternative USA venue ( we love your attitude to fishing and friendliness)

Looking at Redfish/tarpon (baby) snook etc - thinking of Florida - maybe Mosquito Lagoon but very early ideas.

Can you help point us the right way? Don't know when but maybe as soon as late April 2012 trip.

Many thanks, Neil
Old 01-09-2012, 10:52 PM

In April, I'd head south. Joe LeClaire, a very good guide, fishes the Lemon Bay area North of Sanibel (Englewood vicinity), although he may head south upon request. There are snook, redfish and countless ladyfish in the Bay at that time, but the tarpon come on stronger in early May. I've always wanted to fish the 10,000 Islands and there should be 'poons in the vicinity at that time.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:36 PM

Thanks Eric,

Will bear that in mind - still looking at various options and times.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:06 AM

More and more, the guides in the Everglades and the Keys are saying that April is their best month, even for tarpon later in the month. It might already be too late for this year, but my recommendation of Bill Blanton a few posts above is perfect for April. Easter week can be hectic and expensive. You might try around the new moon on April 21 although it's quite likely he's already booked for that period. If he can't do it, you've gotten other names here and any of them that are already booked would have more names for you. I'd get cracking on it, as this is the time of the year guys start planning their fishing calendars for the rest of the year.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:01 AM

You may want to call mark giacobba of glades outfitters. I have fished with him in the Everglades many times. He is very good, hard working and very congenial and patient. We always catch fish with him and have a good time. I would strongly recommend him for first timers in the Everglades and for new or young fishing persons because he is so patient and helpful.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.