Flats Boots? - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-24-2011, 09:19 AM

Flats Boots?

I searched the archives but wondered if any new products are available.

Currently I own the Bite Primals but I find them a bit heavy and bulky.

I have a wide foot and I think Juro you had the same question a while back about something comfortable for a wide foot.

Is there anything out there that is light and easy to pack yet does the job of keeping the sand out and protects the foot from hard stuff on the bottom?

As usual I appreciate all your help.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2011, 09:33 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I've been researching this actively since the last pair of my ULTIMATE flats shoes are exploding at the seams. Man they were the best flats shoes possible. I may even do extensive repairs to keep them alive for a few more seasons.

I'll post results after I test the new candidates in the field, I will be field testing surf (most invasive sand situation), flats (comfort, distance walking, stealth), estuaries (muck) before the season begins.

Summary - no substitute yet, will report my findings - anyone else with a good solution pls report.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2011, 11:58 AM
President of CAC

Get a pair of Merrill sandels that slip over the foot waders...or a pair of running shoes.....that is all you need to do....toss them when they wear out...but they will last as long or longer than some of these made for wading type. Go to Ocean State Job Lot or some discount sneaker place. We still look to find waders that don't leak...and they do....wading shoes are not what I think as a good investment....we are smothered with too many choices...in everything... 150 pairs of running shoes....10 different type of waders...and you can pay $600 for a pair.....Guys still skied well with laced up ski boots...or played championship tennis in Jack Purcell tennis sneakers.... or as I did , with PF flyers (not Championship tennis)....I like a good pair like anyone else and they feel good....but I will not buy in to Madison Avenue....it just seems that we see posts all the time about waders leaking, shoes leaking ....and then go out an buy the latest hype after they say they will not...and...they do. that's all.

Last edited by striblue; 03-24-2011 at 12:22 PM.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:44 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I have Merrells, and pebbles, bits of shells, etc - get inside them. Others who venture out with me wearing them are cursing in minutes. They try them exactly once. I do like them for putzing around town though.

Sneakers would have to be high-tops and the vents not open. The biggest problem is sand invasion in the surfline. A very effective gaitor system would make sneakers usable, one of the options I am looking at now.

It's not the wearing of the sole that is the issue. The vast majority of footwear delivers a good sole to walk on. It's not about wear - wading boots used in rivers last for many years.

IMHO - the problems lie in how the shoe works with the rest of the wader in surf, fast currents, and long walks to keep sand and debris out while supporting death marches over variable terrain and not coming loose.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 03-24-2011, 03:09 PM
President of CAC

Yes..all true...It just seems that the expense is heavy for shoes that are really not quite different than a ordinary pair of hiking shoes....and I agree... a good pair of gaiters will help with the sand in the surf line...I like the open toe sandal, even when I wear waders since the sand can get kicked out ...but the main problem is that they just will not last...so this is why I will buy just those I can toss.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:19 PM

Thanks

Thank you guys... great info and just the detail I was looking for.

I am leaning towards the running shoe option because I walk a lot for my exercise and keep the old used running shoes for kicking around.

If I can figure out a gaiter system to keep out sand I would have a disposable supply of wading shoes.

Again thank you for taking the time to help!
Old 03-25-2011, 02:34 PM

Frank, I found a pair of Calcultta wading booties in Florida 2 yrs ago....on their 2nd season...work well....cheap ($40 range)....very light............has an ugly skull and crossbone ensignia on the side....but that keeps the tourists away
They are all I used last yr....very, very little sand in them even after 8 hrs of walking and flats fishing. I don't do surf much, but ifIi used these in surf ofter, I would tape the top with duct tape. The few timesIi used them in the surf...they really weren't bad as the top stretches and give a nice tight fit.
Keeping sand out of boots or booties is like keeping water out of my basement when the water table is high....pump or not...there is water.
Bare feet is best
Ron
Old 03-25-2011, 06:10 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
Better living thru CHEMISTRY...

NO more sand in my phlatz bootz...
I've got a 5 gallon tub of clear "plasti-dip"...
Several hours before leaving the house I dip both pheet and wait for it to set up...
Two coats if there might be a marathon death march...
At the end of the day, just peel it off and I'm goodtogo...
Hair is only a problem ONCE... but you gott'a repeat the process every week...
Can't wait 'til the 55 gallon drum arrives...
Old 03-25-2011, 06:42 PM

Frank I assume you are talking tropical flats boots?

I have the simms flats boots and if you get some long white cotton tube socks and fold them down just over the top of the boots they keep out most of the sharp stuff. This even worked at Turneffe which is almost all coral and super sharp - you would not make it 100 feet from the boat in sandals.

On a nice hard white sand flat in the bahamas, nothing is quieter than stalking bones barefoot.

The idea of anything neoprene on my feet in a tropical environment is a turn off.

Phleuger rules!
Old 03-25-2011, 07:55 PM

Thanks

Penguin
I am phlabergasted by your phantastic logic! Why didn't one of us think of that before?
A Phly Phorum Phirst!!!

BigDave
thanks for the ideas and the laugh at the end of your note!

Ron
Got your emails....thanks

regards,

PHRANK

gad now Penguin's got me doing it!
Old 03-25-2011, 08:01 PM

Whadt n inphluence, thanxs to Phete, nun uf uz kan sphell
Old 03-26-2011, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1gdo
d.

If I can figure out a gaiter system to keep out sand I would have a disposable supply of wading shoes.
Try a 1mm pair of neoprene socks. Dan Bailey's has them, but if you don't want to patronize Madison Ave. a local dive shop should have them as well. Get ones that fit snugly around the top (most of them do). Virtually no sand inside the boot OR between the sock and your feet. These are far easier to find in 2mm and 3mm, but I've found the 1mm far preferable and worth the time it takes to find them. Remember, as a last resort try Bailey's. Woops! I just checked my latest Bailey's catalog (2009) to get an idea on price, and I don't see them in there any longer. Try you local dive shop. They should have them.
Old 03-27-2011, 02:07 PM

CROCS

Crocs has a product that I am taking camping with me to Andros next week. I will let you know but they look like they are going to be awesome....
Old 03-27-2011, 02:18 PM
President of CAC

Yes...they are another solution...I use crocks when wet wading and they are great on sand...don't sink in....and cheap too. They can fit over the neoprene foot ...o the lesser thickness of lighter waders....the ones with the adjustable back strap are perfect. The holes alow you to simply kick out the sand when in 3 or four inches of water.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:09 PM

Anything like crocs, running shoes or sandals will fall off if you sink into the mud in a marsh and if you are more than ankle deep you'll never find them again, not too practical in my mind. If you're going to get shoes to go over your waders they should work under all conditions, you never know what you're going to come up against till you get there and there's nothing worse than a total failure of your footwear when you're mile and half from your car because you didn't want to spend the money for good boots.
Jon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.