Acklins trips this winter - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-27-2011, 03:27 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Acklins trips this winter

I think this is a most important winter to be helping our friends in Acklins after the hurricane damage. Catching bonefish is a tough job but someone has to do it!

Please reply if you are interested and we will put together trips at the PHENOMENAL discounted rate Felton is offering this winter.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2011, 08:37 PM

Location: Many. From NE salt, Russia, Canadian A Salmon, NW Steelhead, Bahamas, Keys. Live in Upstate NY
I very much might be interested in returning.
Bill'
Old 09-28-2011, 11:23 AM

I plan to head down Dec 3-10 already. About got it set up. Juro, if you get something else set up for later in the winter I may be interested in joining that group also.
Felton is offering a nice rate right now. If anyone is interested in meeting up in Nassau on Dec 3 let me know. We can share expenses overnight.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:14 PM

Hey folks. Any experience with the fishing and weather on Acklins in December? How are the winds?

I've been emailing with Felton about heading down around Dec 19-26. The tides at Datum Bay show a low tide around 8am on the 19th. Sound like good timing?

This will my third bonefishing trip. I spent 9 days on Andros in March of this year and had a blast. Appreciate any advice or info. If you're considering a trip around this time, I'd be interested in the details.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:51 PM

Swalt....I'll be at Salinas Nov.28- Dec 8., with a friend. Are you headed there?

Flatsfisher
Old 09-28-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatsfisher
Swalt....I'll be at Salinas Nov.28- Dec 8., with a friend. Are you headed there?

Flatsfisher
Will be at Salinas Dec 3-10.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnotthered
Hey folks. Any experience with the fishing and weather on Acklins in December? How are the winds?

I've been emailing with Felton about heading down around Dec 19-26. The tides at Datum Bay show a low tide around 8am on the 19th. Sound like good timing?

This will my third bonefishing trip. I spent 9 days on Andros in March of this year and had a blast. Appreciate any advice or info. If you're considering a trip around this time, I'd be interested in the details.
I haven't fished in December yet but I have been there for a Thanksgiving dinner of lobster and turkey. I have had very good luck with the weather in Oct and Nov and unless a cold front comes through December should be ok also. The 2 months I stay away from are Jan and Feb. The closer you get to them the more chance of hitting a cold front.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swalt
I haven't fished in December yet but I have been there for a Thanksgiving dinner of lobster and turkey. I have had very good luck with the weather in Oct and Nov and unless a cold front comes through December should be ok also. The 2 months I stay away from are Jan and Feb. The closer you get to them the more chance of hitting a cold front.
Hey Swalt. Thanks for the info.

So do you expect to find reasonable numbers of fish when you get there? My impression is that we're looking at fewer fish, but larger on average at that time of year.

I'm also curious as to whether most of the fishing is done on sand vs grass/mud bottoms. My bonefish spotting got better this year, but it's a long way from good. I did manage a few fish on my own in Andros.

Ciao.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnotthered
Hey Swalt. Thanks for the info.

So do you expect to find reasonable numbers of fish when you get there? My impression is that we're looking at fewer fish, but larger on average at that time of year.

I'm also curious as to whether most of the fishing is done on sand vs grass/mud bottoms. My bonefish spotting got better this year, but it's a long way from good. I did manage a few fish on my own in Andros.

Ciao.
Ciao, I always "expect" to find reasonable numbers of fish! The fish are still there, large and small. Only if the water is too cool will you not see as many. I have been told that when that is the case you see larger fish because they are the ones that still come up on the flats. I have not noticed that though.

The bottom on Acklins is varried. You have light to dark and sand to coral with grass. Most of it is decent wading. If you run into mud just back up unless there is a tail waving at you.

Walt
Old 09-29-2011, 09:24 AM

Hey Eric......I've fished Acklins several times in Dec., albeit usually earlier in the month than you'r planning. As Swalt says your biggest concern should be possible cold fronts. I've never noticed any particular difference in wind speeds between different seasons down there. Some trips are windier than others. Moderate winds can mean less spooky fish. my biggest problem has always been cloudy conditions.

Flatsfisher
Old 09-29-2011, 10:00 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Walt all this talk has got me PUMPED UP for an Acklins trip already and it's not even October.

Can't wait to get back to Salina Pt this winter

and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 09-29-2011, 11:21 AM

Juro, come on down. Dec 3-10.
But you can't sleep while the rest of us fish.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P3160293 (Custom) (4).JPG
Views:	62
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	7197  
Old 10-01-2011, 03:10 PM

Felton's

I'd be potentially interested in a return visit with Felton at Salinas Point. Wonder if the road into his place is still in the almost unpassable condition?
If air fares to/from Nassau are anything like last couple years, travel on Tues/Wed is significantly less expensive than travel on Fri/Sat. I assume Bahamas air flights to Spring Point are still a Wednesday or Saturday proposition.
Thanks.
GMflyfish
Old 10-02-2011, 08:25 AM

There's also the Pineapple air possibility, Mondays and Fridays. Sunday flights on JetBlue to Nassau are usually the same price as midweek.

Flatsfisher
Old 10-14-2011, 11:19 AM
Middle Aged Member

I'm interested in taking advantage of the Salinas Point lodge deal if anyone is interested in a March trip.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.