Fly selection - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-20-2011, 03:07 PM

Fly selection

So I might actually have to tie a few flies before I go bonefishnig again. Well...probably not but I probably will anyway. Years ago I focussed almost solely on gotchas with silly legs and horrors. Over the last few trips those two haven't done nearly as well as the simrams and bunny bones. In general I've been using rabbit fur for most pattern with good success. What are people tying these days and what do like. I fish the Bahamas mostly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2011, 03:31 PM

Hey Lee sounds like your getting "itchy" with these recent posts. Saw the Jetblue fares but already booked for week after Thanksgiving. I don't think I paid too much more. BTW Bunny Bones have always been one of my favs on Acklins.

Flatsfisher......
Old 09-20-2011, 03:43 PM

I'd take a look at the flies on Aaron Adam's site, fishermanscoast, he has a lot of opportunity to see everything out there, and he shows you what he considers best with recipes.
JC
Old 09-21-2011, 08:53 AM

I am defintiely getting "itchy!" I am also extremely upset about the damage that Irene caused down there. If ever our friends in the Bahamas, especially on Cat Island, need to see some tourist dollars this would be the year. If I see any special, deal, cheap flight, etc. that can help somone from the board get down there and spend a few days fishing/vacationing while helping the local economy I want to make sure people see it.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:38 PM
*** FORUM SPONSOR ***

Location: Western New York Steelhead, Bahamas Bonefish, Wild Western Trout
Bunny gotchas and other flies with bunny or marabou are great, as are these flies with silli legs. They really "breathe" in the water.
God does not deduct from man's alloted time the hours spent fishing.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:41 PM
*** FORUM SPONSOR ***

Location: Western New York Steelhead, Bahamas Bonefish, Wild Western Trout
We're hosting two weeks on Crooked and two weeks on Acklins this year in March, and we'll be sending folks down to fish on their own to Acklins and Eleuthera. I've already booked a short trip to Grey's for April, and Eleuthera for March. Hopefully this will help a little bit.
God does not deduct from man's alloted time the hours spent fishing.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:49 AM
*** FORUM SPONSOR ***

Bunny Gotchas seem to have worked well for me and I find Christmas Island Specials hard to beat - Chartreuse and Orange bodies work best.
Old 09-25-2011, 03:45 PM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
I have a pretty big selection with a lot of different materials and colors. The standard bunny flies are good sometimes, but there was one day on Andros last year where for a few hours all they wanted to eat was chartreuse clousers. Pink was really hot too most days, especially the pink puff.

I have a really dark fly I tie that uses double bunny and it kills on bones (and the sharks love it too if you get bored with bones).

My last trip really woke me up on the large selection you should take with you. One thing I've really been going more towards is bigger flies with more flash and color to them so the fish can see them really easily.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:07 PM

I usually tie size 4 as my standard. On those days where you need looong leaders and a perfect entry, I'll scale back to size 8 but small fish will take a larger fly (unfortunately) and I think it offers the bigger ones a more enticing target. Most of the flies I use are pretty light-tans, pinks and a few browns. In Belize we used a lot more dark flies. Also a lot of white flies. Not much in between.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:57 PM

Waiting in the airport my way home from 10-day trip to Eleuthera. Went down for repairs to house, but damage was minimal, so what else to do but go fishin'. Caught bones on several different patterns but, hands down, the best for me this trip was Aaron Adams' "Big Ugly" (see recipe at his website mentioned above). This trip I couldn't locate the big schools of 2/3 lb fish I normally see, but was happy to see more large (7 lb or so) fish, singles, twos and threes, than ever before. Saw three or four fish that would have gone 10 lbs easy, cut couldn't get them to cooperate.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.