Melanoma can cause death - Fly Fishing Forum
Fitness & Favorite Recipes Good living through good cooking

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-15-2011, 09:36 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Melanoma can cause death

This article portrays the dangers of melanoma, and we as anglers are particularly susceptible. Cover up!

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/types/melanoma
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2011, 12:33 PM
Fly chucker

My Buff is my best friend.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:29 PM

An old post but a new problem for me....a few months ago I developed what is called "Athenic keratosis"...they were dime shaped/sized red spots on my face that itched like *&^%$#@#@!
Had 10 of them removed via liquid nitro..then prescribed a cream to use on my face to remove many layers of skin and kill any fast growing cells ie. pre-cancerous cells....100 % curable if caught early which it was..............I am into my second week of treatment with a topical chemotherapy/skin removal cream...at present I count 38 red circles (that were not there a week ago) that have appeared as layers of skin have been removed from my face..........I look like a pepperori pizza and it hurts like the worst sunburn one ever had.
I have been religious the last 10 yrs using sunscreen...but this damage was caused by sun exposure 30 to 4o yrs ago...remember the days as a kid when your mom put baby oil on your skin when you went to the beach? Remember fishing all day with no sunscreen and or hat? Tans were sexy!!!
Well....if you see this stuff on your face...get treatment right away.
I am told that when done with the treatment... I will have a 100% cure and when my facial skin is removed, the skin of a newborn baby's "bottom".
After week one....it is like the worst sunburn one ever had...I shave once every 4 days and it hurts like hell. Even the coveron my pillow hurts!
Be smarter than me...protect yourself!
Ron
Old 11-10-2011, 07:31 AM

Update............treatment is completed and I am not totally free of any pre-cancerous cells on my face. Face is a mess...significant facial swelling from the trauma of the treatment and the fact that the removal of multiple layers of skin, has left facial skin too thin to hold fluids (temporary).

I am writing only to reinforce the original thread...that the sun can be dangerous.
I would not wish this treatment on anyone! It works...but extreme.

If anyone ever sees me fishing without a load of sunscreen on and or a facial buff......please come over and kick me in the "flybox".

The thing to remember is to be vigilant.......I have been using SPF 70 sunscreen for the last 10 years........the problem was....using nothing for the previous 56 years.

See something unusual on your face...get it checked out.

Ron

PS: the good news. Garry (Polarezes-AKA my "son") and I went last week to LL Bean to return his waders and get replacement.........I asked him if he minded me standing next to him, given the condition of my face? His answer..."no....you make me look great" There are few things in life better than having a good friend!
Old 11-10-2011, 07:52 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Wishing you a full and speedy recovery Ron.

Thanks for sharing your experiences to help others, sobering and important precautions.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 11-10-2011, 08:32 AM

Important correction....my previous post should have said...:NOW totally free"....I guess the "not" was left over anxiety.
thanks Juro...face will be back to it's "old ugly version" in about a month
Ron
Old 11-10-2011, 08:44 AM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
I'm glad to hear you're free of it now!!!!!

My mother is a 25+ year survivor of stage 5 melanoma, and my family has a history of cancer, so I'm very careful with the sun. My buff is always on when I'm in the tropics fishing, and I always wear long pants and a long sleeve shirt.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.