Where are things at regarding the Fall migration? - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2011, 05:24 AM

Where are things at regarding the Fall migration?

haven't been on much this season but it looks like I might have this coming Friday to fish. Was thinking of maybe headed to RI. Anything happening down that way? Are things still happening on the Cape?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2011, 07:53 AM

with this cold snap it should kick things into gear. Can't say much about rhody although I would imagine the hardtails should be pretty good there.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:03 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to sickb4st4rd
launching outta Rhody 7AM tomorrow, searching albies with IanCT.. will report back

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatdrinks
with this cold snap it should kick things into gear. Can't say much about rhody although I would imagine the hardtails should be pretty good there.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:11 AM

sounds awesome man.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:01 AM

how'd you do?
Old 09-20-2011, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatdrinks
how'd you do?
We boated only 1 albie, and Ian got it - his first - so happy for him.
We really fished hard for 9 hours running and gunning breaking albie schools - there were so many boats chopping up the schools on the rips that when they came up they cwent right back down again - you literally had a 5 second window to fire off a perfect cast or ... nothing. I had nothing short of about 16 good chances on at least 3 of those I hit 60-80 casts right in the middle of the school - and NO HOOKUPS! Frustrating to say the least...

We chanced upon some friends from upstate NY who launched at the very same time and they slayed, boated bass albies and blues. Wow.. what am i doing wrong. People like me why don't fish.

We cruised several flats and saw only several feet away some HUGE and I mean big bass, no hookups, very very spooky.

Man this fishin thing's hard work some days
Old 09-21-2011, 04:25 AM

Running and gunning seldom works. I watched Armada Switzer a top NY guide fish for albies and she always got hook ups. What she did was watch the pattern of the albies and then set up her drift to intercept them. She did not run and gun to get the fish . It worked. However, as soon as she had a hook up several boats descended on her drift and put the fish down.
This is what I observed on the water. FishHawk
Old 09-21-2011, 08:00 AM

That can be extremely frustrating when you get abunch of boats working the same school like that. Sorry to hear you didn't get more, maybe the bass and blues are going to hang out on the Cape for a while?? We'll see how things shape up as the fall progresses.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:04 AM
Fly chucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishHawk
Running and gunning seldom works. I watched Armada Switzer a top NY guide fish for albies and she always got hook ups. What she did was watch the pattern of the albies and then set up her drift to intercept them. She did not run and gun to get the fish . It worked.
Bingo.

The hard part is when you have clients on the boat who want to run and gun. The only thing that seems to quell that desire is hooking up while doing a few intercepting drifts as described above.

Heck, I rely on the runners and gunners to push the albies towards me. Sometimes cracking the code involves taking all parties (boats and fish) into account.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:46 AM

Running and gunning was our guide's choice, and him being one of the more respected and well known ones in the region, who was I to comment. Personally I thought it was a little nutty and a lot of work... not to mention fuel.

Quote:
Running and gunning seldom works. I watched Armada Switzer a top NY guide fish for albies and she always got hook ups. What she did was watch the pattern of the albies and then set up her drift to intercept them. She did not run and gun to get the fish . It worked. However, as soon as she had a hook up several boats descended on her drift and put the fish down.
This is what I observed on the water. FishHawk
Old 09-26-2011, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Running and gunning seldom works.
A matter of perspecitve and everyone does it differently. There are varying degrees of R&G, and if it's done well, it does not put the fish down and allows the angler multiple very high percentage shots into the mix. The fish do not always stay up forever, regardless if there is a boat on top of them or not. Sometimes they do not care and will keep on feeding even in a boat rams right into them.

Albies feed in different ways and sometimes drifting structure is more effective but to say it seldom works is simply not true.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDave
Albies feed in different ways and sometimes drifting structure is more effective but to say it seldom works is simply not true.
In defense of that strategy what we were doing (but not ultimately succeeding at) was in fact trying to be in the right place right time right direction even if it was R+G but we were still trying to guess the advance target, IOW we weren't R+G'ing into the school, rather trying to predict. In retrospect what could you do but follow birds and try to meet them when a school came up, that was the best indicator. These fish were coming up and staying up no longer than 10 seconds, and then vanishing.. and I mean vanishing. 2 minutes later they'd show up 300 yards away and be gone just as quickly... and another school would show up 400 yards away opposite side.. frankly not sure if the amount of boats were to blame as far as this - maybe that was the albie pattern of the day based on the bait they were chasing.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:03 AM

that can be incredibly annoying when they do that!
Old 09-27-2011, 10:29 PM

Agreed. I'm plotting revenge right now. That "profession" I chose is getting in the way of it though!!!
Old 09-28-2011, 08:04 AM

tell me about it

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.