Skagit - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2001, 03:28 PM
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club

Skagit

The Skagit is in great shape at this time. River is low and beautifully green. I would venture to say anywhere on the lower river one might find some searun cutts.
Hiked to Sauk bar yesterday. Mostly for the scenery and the salmon berries. Ate so many berries I was worried about getting a tummy ache. The Skagit was a wonderful emerald green and the mountains were gorgeous. Practiced spey casting with no real intent on catching anything. Got two resident cutts about 16 inches. Scared one chinook, had him on for a minute or two. Might have scared me.

Tomorrow Dec Hogan is having a spey casting demonstration on the Skagit in Mt Vernon. Might be worth going to. For info call Kim at Skagit Anglers, (360) 336-3232.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2001, 02:46 PM
Decent Member

Oh I'm off to a mariners game otherwise I'ld be over. Off to the Stilly tomorrow. Betcha could find a summer run around Marblemount about now.
Old 06-11-2001, 09:08 AM
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club

How ya doin' Hud?

Went to the Stilly on Sunday. Fished from Hazel down about 2 or 3 miles. Nothing. Didn't see anything. River was gorgeous. I noticed that the north fork was clear all the way down to the forks. South fork was pumping some nasty color. That's a little different.
Old 06-11-2001, 09:51 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Did you stop at the Oso bridge and take a peek? We had a fun chat with two of the old timers from the Gen store a few years back who came down to throw dimes. Litterally. If one chased, they'd fish for the aggresive fish. These guys were no spring chickens, so I figure there had to be several hundred dimes down there. "gotta be dimes, we tried pennies and nickels, but they didn't work"

Man I can still see those ghostly chrome July fish in my minds eye.
Old 06-11-2001, 02:24 PM
bill

I asked the woman at the counter at the oso general store about Barney & Gus - she knew one of them well (i think it was Barney) and he had passed away She said her kids used to like him a lot and they really missed him.

They're both still alive in my mind, along with some laughter about gluing a hook to a dime
Old 06-12-2001, 12:13 AM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16
Well come the 4th of July, we all know that there will be atleast a few Deer Creek summer runs swimming lazily-out of danger from us fisherman-under the trestle.

The couple weeks when the biggest push of these magnifecent fish has to be my favorite time of the year. 80 degree days followed by the comfort of a cool evening spent throwing flies for these fish.

Last year around the 4th I remember driving up to the Riffle after work and arriving at about 730. I made my way down and preceded to hook not one, not two but 3 fish. The final fish wasnt hooked untill the very last light of the day and not landed untill total darkness had taken over the landscape. I think I smiled all the way home, smiled all through my sleep and woke up with a smile on my face.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.