August Atlantic Salmon Returns Fascinate - and the Matane in Overdrive - Fly Fishing Forum
Classic Atlantic Salmon No pursuit rivals salmon rivers, flies & legacy

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2011, 08:43 AM

August Atlantic Salmon Returns Fascinate - and the Matane in Overdrive

News from the Atlantic Salmon Federation

Atlantic Salmon Returns in August Fascinating - and the Matane in Overdrive
The ASF RIVERNOTES blog has some remarkable stories unfolding this summer. The Penobscot in Maine now has best returns since 1986. Cascapedia had 1,000 angled salmon in July, and the Miramichi has continued to see salmon moving upstream. Read more - all info new this week!
http://atlanticsalmonfederation.org/rivernotes/

ASF and Partners Explore Unique Serpentine Salmon Run
The Atlantic Salmon Federation is a partner in a research project to unravel the mysteries of the salmon returning to New Brunswick's Serpentine River* Read more:
http://asf.ca/projects.php?id=21

Rebuilding Maine's Salmon Runs Calls for Patience - Bill Townsend
Bill Townsend has written an opinion piece for the Kennebec Journal that gives a perspective on the time frame for restoring Maine's salmon runs.
http://asf.ca/news.php?id=728
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2011, 06:16 PM

Just think what the salmon runs on the Matane and Matapedia would be if the fisherman didn't kill everything they caught.

Earle Fletcher
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2011, 09:50 PM

Exactly! It's the "model". good returns and plenty of parr...But for how long?
Old 08-24-2011, 11:33 AM
Venture

Send a message via ICQ to Venture
The Matane is far from changing it's kill policies. It's simply a money thing. The Matane Zec has already calculated their losses if the river became catch and release. I think they claimed that they would loose over 1000 daily permits which translates to approx $25,000 - $35,000 in revenue. And the Zec also claims that their present kill limits have not damaged the runs. With this year's run having a 30% increase over the average year, they will be even more stubborn about changing their laws.

One solution to this is that the Zec should raise the costs of permits to match the Bonaventure and the other rivers on the south shore of the Gaspesie to compensate for the 1000 or so permits they would loose being no-kill. They are against this too because they feel that the Matane always was a place where the working class person can afford some decent salmon fishing.

And if you speak to most of the fisherman on the Matane, either residents or nonresidents, most all of them will tell you that they like to be able to take their salmon and it has not hurt the stocks at all. Others will tell you that when you release a salmon after the average fight it dies anyway. Debating this with them is useless.

My personal preference would be to make the river a no - kill, grilse only, like all the other rivers on the Gaspe so all the killers don't wind up on the Matane. I would also raise the price of the permit to match that of the Bonnie or the York. Or I would make several sectors. One sector up river for more money, and one sector in the lower stretches below the Amqui bridge for less money. Presently any resident can fish anywhere and kill fish on the Matane for $25.00 per day. That is rediculous, not to mention the crowds that it draws.

The Matane is a blue ribbon river. There are pools on the Matane that would cost $1000 a day in Iceland and Norway. Instead these pools are beat up with 10 rods fishing them and 10 waiting on the benches with 2 - 6 salmon caught their daily.

Some may call me a snob, but I dont care. I feel that this fishery and the Matane river is worth much more than a freezer filled with 7 freezer burned breeders. I've seen guys release grilse on the Matane because they dont want to waste a tag on 5 pounds of salmon. Those are the guys I want off my river first as they don't deserve the right to fish for Atlantic Salmon period.
Old 08-24-2011, 04:05 PM

That is the model for the Matane. It does not hurt the fishery. I agree Howie, but there cannot be a middle ground for them. It's affordable. In cold water, a swiftly released fish spawns! I used to be sort of hero driven to kill a large fish. As long as they keep a steady amount of spawners, why not? Not for many many years.......have I killed a large fish. I guess it's why I stick with the more expensive catch and release areas. Best of luck to you the rest of this fabulous season.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.