Nauset Armada - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2011, 07:50 PM

Nauset Armada

One hundred ninety-two boats counted off Nauset between the public beach and the inlet, about half a mile out. They've been there for days, that's where the brood stock goes.
JC
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2011, 08:52 PM

Been watching them also from the coast guard side.Quite the circus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2011, 06:39 AM

ran into the indirect results of the so-called commercial fishing for bass.Went to one of the locations I walk my dogs yesterday morning[5:30] in Brewster.Stop the truck and hop out and was hit with a wall of stench.Knowing the aroma of death I look over an embankment and find over a dozen bass in the 30-32" range rotting whole in a pile. Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions but....It sure looks fishy to me.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:16 AM
Middle Aged Member

Quote:
Stop the truck and hop out and was hit with a wall of stench.Knowing the aroma of death I look over an embankment and find over a dozen bass in the 30-32" range rotting whole in a pile. Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions but....It sure looks fishy to me.
I never had a problem with the striped bass hook and line commercial fishery but crap like that could turn me.

Also, if truly effective and practical, I would like to see a circle hook requirement for, at least, the recreational bait fishery. I see too many shorts along the beach that you just know were gut hooked by someone that went to walmart and picked up a rig just before vacation

Last edited by FredA; 08-03-2011 at 07:29 AM.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:29 AM

I was out fishing among the fleet a couple of Sundays ago (commercial day) and it was a major turn-off. So much so that I went trout fishing last weekend instead. There is so much rude (borderline dangerous) boat handling going on that it's just not worth it. Some guys were doing it right but I saw a lot of 'gaff and release' going on. There is a noticable shortage of fish over 34" compared to the week prior to comm season. I have seen little to no enforcement on the water aside from the first few days of comm season. Sometimes there is an EPO at Ryders but I have not seen anyone checked yet. Hopefully it will be over soon.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredA
I never had a problem with the striped bass hook and line commercial fishery but crap like that could turn me.

Also, if truly effective and practical, I would like to see a circle hook requirement for, at least, the recreational bait fishery. I see too many shorts along the beach that you just know were gut hooked by someone that went to walmart and picked up a rig just before vacation
agreed.I gave up my commercial license 2 yrs ago.I had'nt put a fish in a tote since 1996 when I worked on Nantucket during the day and fished from the beach at night.It was huge money[$5+#] over there but my heart got in the way.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:47 AM

Yeah I understand that it's legal and everything but it's pretty brutal and it seems to bring out a certain type of behavior in people.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:38 PM

Enforcement , Enforcement

Ok, so we all had to get a Saltwater License , where the hell are the EPO?
Enforcement is the key to the Striped Bass fishery survival. FishHawk
Old 08-03-2011, 09:02 PM

As I was repeatedly and purposely "buzzed" (by a small boat) while fishing this year from shore, by a so called comm fisherman...he said..."I do this for a living and am a professional....you just play".....after the incident, I truly hoped that attitude was not of the majority.
I must look up the definition of "professional"....maybe age is getting to me and I forgot the true meaning.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:26 AM

pretty sure a license doesn't give priority over "playing". The only plus side to that nonsense is that it's more ammo for people who would like to see the end of commercial bass fishing.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:49 AM

The recs also do their share of damage to the fishery. As I said earlier enforcement is the key . Look at the salmon rivers in Canada, they are protected and laws are enforced.
Catch a couple of yahoos and give them a hefty fine and the word will get out. FishHawk
Old 08-04-2011, 10:03 AM

sounds like a professional all right.... a professional what is the question.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:31 AM

Waterworker...it was a guy in his 20s......I hope after he works 37 yrs as I (and many of us have) did and then decides to reward himself for his long and hard work...some ^%$#@!!! won't ruin his deserved joy on purpose.
I have an answer to what kind of "professional" he was...I'd write it here, but it would get deleted.
I have nothing against commercial fishing as long as the rules are followed and respect for others using the same enviroment is the norm. Everyone has a right to make an honest living as does others who have a right to get some hard earned relaxation.
Ron
Old 08-04-2011, 07:20 PM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
Saltily, FWIW, I'm really surprised that someone would discard keeper-sized bass. If they were commercials, I suspect they would have high graded on their boat and fish less than 34 inches wouldn't be kept. Sounds like an egocentric rec that high graded on shore. Regardless, a shame to waste a valuable resource.

Ron, I remember the day and the guy's comments to you. Some people are just plain selfish and you're pissing in the wind if you think you can change that behavior. Reminds me of the saying: What's mine is mine and what's yours is mine.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:06 AM
Squire animal

"High grading"... is this when people catch and keep fish then catch bigger so they dump the smaller, earlier caught, fish and keep the larger specimen(s)?

Jim

I think the saying is; what's yours is mine and what's mine is my own!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.