New Striped Bass Management Measures on the Horizon - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-24-2011, 08:25 AM

New Striped Bass Management Measures on the Horizon

New Striped Bass
Management Measures on
the Horizon

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dmf/publi.../dmfnq1211.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2011, 09:29 AM
Middle Aged Member

So there we have it. We now know that the time lag between the strong anecdotal evidence and the statistics is 3 years (2008 being the first year that the shore fisherman became convinced something was going on).

Thanks for posting Joe
Old 06-24-2011, 10:03 AM

Now we can only hope they do something vaguely intelligent rather than just politcally expedient.
Jon
Old 06-24-2011, 02:19 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

This is the perfect case of a need for federal intervention. This proves that provincial state interests can not manage an intercoastal species.

MA can start by lowering the limit from 2 fish to 1 immediately.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 06-24-2011, 02:37 PM

You're absolutely right Juro. Bass (as well as many other species) need to be federally regulated.
Old 06-24-2011, 02:43 PM

And tuna need an internationally integrated management approach...even tougher. The lines we draw and rules we write are meaningless in nature.
Old 06-24-2011, 04:31 PM

Well I guess we weren't such bad flyfishermen after all. We all saw the changes in numbers as Fred said. Our "study" I am sure cost a great deal less than what the state did.
Obviously something must be done to if not rectify the situation or at least keep it from getting worse.
Sad to say IMHO...whether the state or the feds take some action..I fear that it will be liken to the mating and gestation period of elephants.........done at a very high level.....accompanied by a lot of noise and takes 2 years to get a result.
I don't think we have 2 years to wait.
Although I have only been to NM 3 times this year...a typical day is now seeing 15 to 20 stripers in 8 hrs instead of the more typical 75 to 200+ as of 3 to 4 years ago. Seeing fish throughout the day/ seeing fish on both sides of the tide....is no longer the norm...I am finding the new normal as being a 1 to 2 hr window of opportunity and being in the wrong spot at the wrong time diminishes results.
On Hardings (4 trips/days) this spring..I saw the old spring migration for 1 1/2 hrs on only one day (caught 9 stripers in that short period).
Maybe I missed it...but so have the others I have spoken to who are confident enough to share that they have been skunked..some for days.
Let's hope something that makes sense happens quickly and whoever is in charge is not a political appointee and former horse show judge.
Ron
Old 06-24-2011, 04:59 PM

Ron, you're right on all counts, the real tragedy is that the bass problem is but one symptom of a highly overstressed ocean, with overfishing , pollution and most immutably, warming, playing havoc with the ecosystem.
Jon
Old 06-24-2011, 05:55 PM
Bruce

Thanks for posting the report. It saddens me that it was a short time ago that the bass were in trouble and drastic measures were taken to save them. Through that, we learned NOTHING and we are heading back to square 1. Sorry Juro, but I do not trust the state NOR the Federal Govt to do the right thing. Each will satisfy the constituents that have the most money (read votes).
Why not treat the striper population like Deer? You want to keep stripers, buy a tag…But then, who manages the number of tags and oversight… And that doesn’t address the overharvest of the bait…
Old 06-24-2011, 07:25 PM

No easy answers but taking them off the commercial market would be a giant step forward.
Jon
Old 06-24-2011, 07:51 PM

If I recall accurately...the downturn began when the increased harvesting of literally millions of bunker that occurrs in Naragansett bay starting early spring......I for one have not seen a bunker for 2 years (OK, maybe one or two).......I remember hitting Hardings in the fall not that many years ago and the sand was all silver with thousands of bunker jumping out of harms way as massive amts of blues gorged themselves along the shoreline.

Bait apears very sparse...the bunker...the large 30 ft diameter balls of sandeels that roamed SB and NM.......for me, the jury is still out on global warming...my sense is that the main issue is the overharvesting of bait for fishoil...........of course, I am guilty as well, as I take fish oil supplements.

No bait...no fish.
A few weeks ago, Jon took me in his flats boat over at least 3 sq miles of flats...not only did neighter of us see a fish...we never saw bait either.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:35 AM

Well something is not right. One day you'll see tons of bait the next day none at all.
I was in a boat at a top secret UDL and the bottom was carpeted by bait.
Yesterday fishing out of my yak I saw no bait. It's this damn Northeast Wind that part of the problem. FishHawk
Old 06-27-2011, 08:01 AM
Bruce

FishHawk - lucky you to be out in the yack - the only thing I saw yesterday was weeds in my flowerbeds... No bait, but lots of weeds.
Old 06-27-2011, 02:59 PM

Very good day in Brewster yesterday -- pretty much sight-casting to singles for a few hrs. I was melancholy the whole trip as usual -- fishing around the Cape (at least on the flats) is a shadow of what it used to be. We put in big hours too. It wasn't that long ago that flats like Common, the Crib, the Cuts, etc, would turn black with schools of fish swimming by....
Old 06-28-2011, 09:35 AM

Not just day to day but tide to tide for me.

It's always been a crapshoot when I roll the dice but I don't remember it being this inconsistent.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.