What are you seeing so far in 2011? - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-13-2011, 10:48 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

What are you seeing so far in 2011?

I"m seeing bad weather deferring much of what I would normally be doing out there! But besides that, here's my 'gut feel' and would like to hear your reports from the ditch, the harbor, north shore or wherever you fish...

Around the elbow, fish are offshore as usual and fishing best up around the Race. South side is getting tons of bait but the numbers of bass crushing them seem way down. Bayside is hot and cold, and the weather is just cold - with a lot of North wind which could be masking the good fishing for now... have to wait and see when things improve this weekend.

Exploring around all the nooks and crannies of Pleasant Bay seems like a good investment in time with the rejuvenated flows from the break.

Nauset was fishing very well for me until they locked it down (ORV).

Maybe I will start fishing off-hours since there isn't any ambient light anyway during the day!

I haven't made my usual excursions down the shoreline to fish Cotuit, Dowses, South Cape, etc. Any news would be appreciated.

What are you seeing?
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2011, 11:23 AM
Middle Aged Member

Not seeing much, not fishin much. What I do see is the bayside fishing changing with the weather. Stable pattern eventually turns things on, sharp front shuts it off. Other than that I'm feeling pretty sore, lots of pack mule duties. No heart attacks though so I guess "stress tests by fred" says I'm doing ok on that front.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:13 PM

Overall I am seeing fewer fish, but the fish I see and hook are larger than the norm. Few fish caught were below 20 inches....most in the low to mid 20 range with a couple of keepers thrown in the mix. Had only one day in 5 or 6 trips where I consistently saw large pods on fish for at least 2 hours. Fishing seems very tide dependent...more than usual. Some days it was incoming, some outgoing, some only 1 hr each side of the high. Have not had one "typical spring trip" where fish were presnt for more than a 2 hr window and or both sides of the tide. Lots of bait....not many feeders (except diving birds with nothing under them).
As you know, we fished Nm on friday...between the 2 of us we saw about 18 fish in 4 hrs before we called it a day due to the forecast of 30% cloud cover, turning into 100% cloud cover by 11 a.m............I personnally don't go to Nm to blind cast.
Although only one trip to Nm, I foresee the channel disappearing at the N NW end negatively affecting fish being more present....schetchy at best.
Haven't fished bayside yet due to N winds every time we go.
In summary.....this season so far has been to be in the right spot, at the right tide (whatever that is for the day) for the right 2 hrs time period. The only consistent observation is that things are more inconsistent than usual. Or maybe I just stink at fishing!
Ron
Old 06-13-2011, 12:57 PM
Fly chucker

For eastern Long Island Sound on the CT/RI side, I've noticed that fish were a bit late in getting onto flats and that the absolute deluge of rain from the spring has affected the early estuary fishing. This has translated to fish being on the reefs earlier than usual, and although I think that the flats fishing will be decent, I don't think that it will be as typical as years past for fish that take up residency because many of them have what they need on the reefs (cover and food). Why go to the restaurant across the street when you have a full buffet right in front of you?

Could make for a competitive time once the butterfish and bay anchovies show up later in the season on the reefs and ledges.
Old 06-13-2011, 01:17 PM

Fished the outside quite a bit last week. Lots of great structure out towards the tip.
Plenty of bait too. The water was black with small sea herring and sandeels with tinker mackerel busting on them all day.
Good sized fish in the wash.
Not everywhere, everyday, but when you found the bait..........
Old 06-13-2011, 03:03 PM

What I have been seeing (from a boat):

Plenty of fish everywhere. WAY too much E and N wind over the last 6 weeks along with unseasonably cool temperatures. The fishing is fantastic on the rare occasion that we get 3-4 days of W or S in a row and then dies with the next cold front. If we ever get into a sustained pattern of SW I think it will get really good (it was last week) but the only constant this spring has been change

My only other observation would be the surprising lack of bluefish numbers in Cape Cod bay compared to past years. There must still be a lot of squid in the sound.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:36 AM

Well I guess my take is a bit different. I started my season mid May around Cotuit and moved east. We found good numbers of fish with many more 30 or better inch fish than I've landed in the past. What's been most striking about this year so far for us is that the dink numbers are way up versus the past few years. I'm not sure if that is good news or bad though. My anecdotal evidence shows those smaller fish in numbers we were seeing several years ago, however, many of these fish were under 10" and while I'm no scientist I am left wondering why those fish would leave the Chessy so soon and if they will survive. The low to mid 20" fish seem to be missing for us.

Saw lots of bait again this year but for the most part there have been fish on them or nearby unlike the past two years.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:05 AM

What I have to contribute is really based on the month of May as I have not been able to do anything this month.
Cold water hung around the South Side longer than normal so fish were late in arriving in numbers. Bait fish have been here today, gone tomorrow and <2". As has most others experienced many more 14" and under fish around. Few fish between 20 - 28" but more over 30" than previous years. That may be because I am fishing udl's that produced the bigger ones more often and for longer periods of time! Big Blues seemed to appear earlier than normal but I don't know it they have hung around or not. Maybe it is because I am fishing clousers more than in the past but I have caught several fluke this year and I usually only catch 2 or 3 in a season. Expect to be back at it for the month of July and will update then!
Tight lines to all

Pete R
Old 06-19-2011, 07:28 AM
mike oliver

The cold North wind killed it all over the Cape for me. Total shut off must have gone 4 days without a fish. Before lockdown the Bayside was alive with fish and good ones too. For three consectative nights in Wellfleet area two of my spin Brit Buddies hammerd Stripers at low water but in total darkness. Big long scary walk out in the night. Their best fish was 40 inches on the flats.
Race Point was hot and cold as was the big ocean beaches. Some days you could not get near them even in a wet suit to make a cast the shore breaks were huge . Almost impossible to cast a line over the top of them. Fantastic sight though.
The Morris Island area was dire at best although some Guys did score okish but not great most of the time. PT flats desperately poor. But all you Guys need is some decent conditions and you will have plenty of fish. Two of my Buddies in a boat with Jeff Smith caught from Pamet River all the way round to Chathem in one day and had countless numbers of 20lb fish all taken near the surface. They followed the same shoal all day but 2 miles of shore. You just need these migrating fish to hit the beachees and then its bonaza time. Don't despair Guys just bide your time.

Mike
Old 07-01-2011, 06:35 AM
I remember sometimes...,

The West Dennis Crew Report for 2011

2011 was a pretty good year for me and the crew, overall. We were able to put a good bit of time on the water this past May and June. The crew (me, Dan, Walt, Bob, Tom, Tommy, Fred, Richie) had alot of fun and caught a good # of fish, both large and small. A few of the guys stayed a month, alot of us got 2 weeks with our feet in the saltwater. We moved around alot and had some very good days. I fished out of Richies boat 3 times and had stellar fishing in Barnstable and Cape Cod Bay. In my 40+ years fishing the Cape- I had my best day ever on the flats. The weather was a challenge at times and it was rare that I could fish the same spots two days in a row, due to wind. This was a little frustrating, especially if we found fish- but that's the Cape. The weather always makes for an interesting trip. We landed several keeper size bass while shore fishing and caught some at weird tides, including a couple great outings near Pleasant Bay, at the dead low and full sun.
I really do miss fishing the ocean side of South Beach, but fear that is gone forever with the growing seal population. Morris Island was funny. Jim and I fished it several times, we could normally catch a few fish, but it never really got good. We tried a few spots (new to me) near Truro and Wellfleet with mixed results. The Bass River fished a little better than in past years and I saw my first porgies caught on the fly. One Saturday, Bob-Tom and I caught stripers, blues and porgies on the fly from the jetty-something I had not done since the 60's. Overall- I would say that 2011 was better than 2010 and 2009, but not as good as those 2000 thru 2006 seasons. As a lifelong shore angler-fishing from the boat a few times did open my my eyes to what lives 400 yards from the shore...., So much so- that I bought Richies' boat at the end of the trip! The crew that stays at the house during May and June probably had over 150 "man days" on the water this season and we kept a fishing log. It seems that there were fewer skunked days than in the past and several notes as to epic days, but most shore days were alot of fun with a few good fish. We did catch a good bit more "schoolie size" bass, from shore, than in past couple years-so I'm not sure what that says- including some 50 fish days, just like in the 90s. Lastly, it seems that we caught more of the good fish on smaller flies- (sparse, dark ties were the ticket). I hope to get back in September and see what the Fall brings. Not sure what else I can say- besides the Cape is still my favorite spot on the planet during May and June....., Cheers, Dennis
Old 07-03-2011, 06:18 PM

First time this year - and in Maine

First time I had a chance to fish this year, between personal health issues and a death in the family, it's been a busy spring.

Hit Saco River - started down on the north side jetty with nothing whatsoever going on, except for a dog chasing ducks back and forth. The guy was in panic mode as his dog kept swimming one way, and then the ducks would go back the other direction - and he'd chase them. Hopefully the dog made it back in. No bird activity, other than the ducks, and no signs of bait in the water.

Moved up and fished below dam. Again, no bait and no bird activity other than the 100+ seagulls sitting on the sandbar until it flooded. The only fish I saw caught was some young boy, fishing with his Dad. He was having a blast catching Shad up on the other side closer to the dam than I was.

Meandered back down through Biddeford and Kennebunkport, and no activity what to speak off.

I'm up in Maine for another week. Like to hear from any other "Mainers" if they have any tips for a "visitor". Maybe I'll hit Ogunquit tomorrow morning.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:44 PM

Hard work, not like the old day's... the worst (most fish) and best (quality) fish this year. Can't remember not catching in June for that many days’ but when it happened nice fish were brought to hand. I did keep one 36" fish but released larger fish. FishHawk had a 42” fish, Jim had a 38” fish and my best was 38”. All I can say is don’t keep doing the same old thing. Move, try new locales, move around, explore. You could get skunked or land a nice keeper.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:39 AM
Middle Aged Member

Limited fishing brings me to the same conclusion as Craig. Cuaght my first non keeper over the last two weeks yesterday, trouble is haven't caught many. Those demon lockjaw fish are in the basin at the end of the creek every low turn of the tide. I've had some minor success dragging a deep eel slowly on the sand with a QD line. Had one explosive grab by a yard long (closer to 4 feet) beast in a foot and a half of water. Broke me off pretty quick but that's been the highlight of this so-called vacation. Other than that it's mid drop or mid flood for anything near a sure bet. Walked to the water mid flood one morning and had 3 keepers in 15 or 20 minutes. But mostly it's been tough.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:51 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Craig puts it well, "the best and worst" of times indeed... I am a little nervous about the lack of schoolies too.

Fred, LOL - "demon lockjaw fish" haha the perfect description! They must be the same fish every year, and getting smarter. Simply evil!

Once in a great while tho...... B A N G ! Usually as peak flood begins for me.

The other day I was harvesting some blue crabs and had a cow bass following me for discards - and me with just a silly long handled dip net...
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 07-08-2011, 01:53 PM
Fly chucker

After a rather unusual spring, the summertime pattern is finally taking hold here in eastern LIS. The bass and blues are on the reefs in force, and although the daytime fishing can be good with quick sinking lines the best action comes with a moving tide coinciding with low light levels...fog or rain has extended dawn bites, one day up to slack tide at nearly eleven o'clock. Butterfish and squid and bunker, oh my!

It's been a pleasant few weeks having the fish do something somewhat predictable. The fall could be a crapshoot, but down here it's usually pretty darned good.

We'll see.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.