A Rather Full day - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2011, 06:28 AM
mike oliver

A Rather Full day

Yeserday I strugged to sleep well the night before as my body was wracked with aches and pains for a very active Rip trip on the Friday. I kept weaking evry hour thinking it was time to get up. I felt like death in fact I may have been dead I felt so bad. Then the battle started between getting up and remaining in bed. The war raged for over and hour before my concience helped me win through as I had promised I would meet up with Herb on one of the big Back Side beaches for HT at approx 07.00.
Once up I admonished myself for staying in bed so late as I realised that with an hours journey I was going to miss high tide by at least one hour. Dam these slow speed limits. I arrive and to my despair there are Guys on both sides of the beach. Where is Herb. I look intently to both left and right trying to spot him. I pick him out all alone on the south side by seeing that he was the only Guy close to the waters edge. Bait Guys and Spinners tend to hug the top of the beach whilst we have to mix it with the surf. I flew along the beach and Herb greets me with the call I have had three in the wash. Dam I am too late again. I tye on my floating bait fish pattern which had proved so dealy in the Rip on S. Monomoy on a 4 foot leader and made some casts. Bang 4th Cast I am into a very strong fish which turns out to be a small keeper. Its what we Brits call a "Dragger" The shore line surge mage life interesting trying to land the fish but a rugby style tackle ensured we coukld get a photo. Hopefully Herb will post it up some time. My camera is mort. I am now pumping we both cast away and 30 minutes later another good take, I play the fish for a short whaile and the hook pulls. Herb hgas to go and it is now 09:20 and the tide well into the ebb. This alows me to get into the Slough and edge my way to the bar and the forming rip. My confidence is low as the morning is so welll advanced. I start to mechanically cast and retrieve will a fish to take. I was awoken by a spectacular strike with the fish breaking surface as it hit. Tne fish was exgtreemly strong and first the fly line dissapear quickly follwed by a good dose of backing. Herb has just left the beach dam. this fish is as fit as a Butchers Dog and I get a fantastic fight but 20lb leaders and a low rod win the day and I beach her. How big about 32 inches. I am grinning madly but safely as I am all alone. I fish on for another 30 minutes but give it best as I want to get something to eat and get to the PT flats for LW minus two hours to fish the early flood. So its a dash to Nelsons Tackle buy some new leader material and a hook stone and eat a very poor and expenive fry up breakfast in the deli next door. I shoot off to PT and three of my Brit Buddies are already there out in the wayter in a mini conger line. They are being Guided by Steve, can't remember his surname young guy with longish hair if I remember right. I wade out to say hello, I am smiling as I am foishing the same water and got to fish it for free. We cast into the drop off with fast sinkers but zippo. wind is right in our teeth. Steve takes his charges in a bit to fish another ba. I stay nout longer becuase I can in my wet suit and follow the deep water line fishing whilst edging back to shore. I decide to take the walk to Long point. I catch two mackeral and the wind on the end is horrendous. I fish all round the point and both sides for absolute zippo. I do mthe long walk back and spook a fish trying to sight fish in the eel grass patches. I bounce my way over the Dyke and return back to the big beach for about 18:30 after a dinner of one soft bannana and two very stale bread buns and a bottle of luke warm water. There are a ruck of other fishers in the car park. The wind has kicked up and the waves are nasty and there is a lot of weed in the water. I take the 500 yard walk to where I had caught my fish in the morning. The wave set was such that after making a cast
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2011, 06:53 AM

Well Mike...I don't know about others, but your "day" exhausted me and I am just sitting and reading. You certainly know how to use all 24 hrs.!!! You put in the time and thus were rewarded!
You Brits really know how to relax on your vacations!
Ron
Old 06-12-2011, 07:05 AM
mike oliver

Ron
Sorry I had not finished my post you got this short unfinished version. It needs to be deleated really.

It took me ages of repeat editing becuase of spelling probs. I am just permentally tired.

Mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.