Seals shot in the head - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2011, 08:42 PM
Bruce

Seals shot in the head

I see in the paper that someone is taking matters into their own hands and have shot 5 seals. A seal must have grabed someone's big fish and made them really mad...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2011, 05:18 AM

Like it or not the seal is a protected animal. Anyone caught doing this will face Federal charges. The Feds takes this stuff seriously. FishHawk
Old 06-13-2011, 07:33 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

There's one in the tub the other day that looks like it was shot.

I agree with Fishhawk - and shooting seals is not going to solve the problems caused by overfishing and habitat destruction anyway.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 06-13-2011, 07:47 AM
Bruce

ah - my post should not be interpreted as agreeing with the action. Just to inform and point out the extreme as to which some people would go. Frankly, I find it pretty sad and provides a glimps into man's actions and soul.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:38 AM

FYI - I did not interpret it that way. Thanks for reporting a fact that many should be aware of.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:27 AM
PhlyPhishing Physician

I'd prefer Mr. Whitey (the sharks) take care of the seal problem.....not Dirty Harry....I know there's been some good-natured joking amongst anglers (myself included) about this kind of thing, but it sickens me to hear that somebody has actually gone out and done it....as I've stated in other posts, I'm against killing an animal just for the sake of killing, or because the animal is perceived as a "nuisance" as opposed to being a real threat....when I hunt, it's to put food on the table....and I don't believe I've spotted any Inuit (aka "Eskimos") roaming the National Seashore lately.
Hopefully they will catch/punish the offending party.

P.S.- The Inuit reference was with regards to the fact that they use seals as a source of food, and are LEGALLY permitted to hunt them up north- NOT that I thought one was responsible for the local incident.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:45 AM

true, and they use every scrap of the animal for legitimate uses
Old 06-13-2011, 11:02 AM
2hand canal ,conventional

Funny how times and thinking change.

I can remember when you would get a $5.00 bounty if you brought a seals ear to a town hall.If I recall man is suppose to have all power over animals ,when did it become "in" for it to be the other way.The bleeding hearts are killing us,now don't take this wrong,I don't approve of killing for the sake of killing,but we need some type of control when the population of animals change what man is used to such as what has happened to the fishing along the cape.If it's alright to hire pro sharp shooters to kill coyotes to save terns and plovers,or poison crows to save the same why can't there be something done to lower the seals population for us.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:18 PM
Flats Rat

Not sure if its related to this incident but I saw three seal carcasses in the tub / Morris Island area a couple of weeks back.

I didn't get close enough to assess cause of death and stayed well upwind - but from the state of decomposition they looked to have been dead some time.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:45 AM

And here on the Left Coast, specifically the Columbia River between Washington and Oregon, permission was finally granted to shoot Sea Lions that have been ravishing anadromous fish at Bonneville Dam (the lowest dam on the Columbia and more than 100 miles from the ocean). Predation by sea lions, and the totally artificial situation the dams create (pausing the runs as the fish sort out of fish ladders) has created a food bonanza for sea lions that never existed in historical times. All the money and effort being poured into restoring native salmon runs into the upper Columbia and Snake was being devoured by these opportunistic critturs. (Who could blame them, if I were a sea lion, I'd be there at the trough).

Nevertheless, the situation is intolerable. As I said, this is an artificial situation, caused by delays below the dam. Many non-lethal attempts to dissuade the sea lions have been attempted, with unsatisfactory results. So. Finally permission was given to shoot the Sea Lions.

Since rescinded. One or the other of the animal rights groups got an injunction. It doesn't matter which.

Big eyed mammals count more than slimy, cold-blooded fishies.

Oh what a piece of work is Man!

Cheers,

Eric
Old 06-14-2011, 02:11 PM
Squire animal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric

Big eyed mammals count more than slimy, cold-blooded fishies.

Oh what a piece of work is Man!

Hot topic for sure...

We have something similar happening over here in the UK but ours is with 1. cormorants and 2. otters.

The cormorants are flying inland to feed in trout streams and lakes with each bird devouring several kilos of fish per day. Sometimes fisheries have 30 or 40 birds drying their wings in the trees and they are powerless to shoot them due to the birds being protected... It's an insane situation.

The otter is a different story as they were pretty much wiped out early last century but man has 'stuck his oar in' and reintroduced these animals into the wild with devastating consequences. They are roaming all over the countryside and getting into all sorts of river sections and lakes and eating the fish. Otters died out for a reason and bringing them back creates a whole host of new problems the "big eyed animal lovers" can't and don't always see.

Seals? There are way too many both here and in the Cape.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:05 PM

Seals are a scapegoat.

The seal is a problem for sure but it's a scapegoat in my opinion. It's the netting of the Herring for Omega Protein and fish oil used for human health products. Big corporate money behind this. So, the seal gets most of the blame. The Herring is one of the primary source of forage for the Striped Bass.
Herring runs are way down. Just my opinion . FishHawk.

Last edited by FishHawk; 06-30-2011 at 07:08 AM.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:40 PM

I'm with FishHawk here, if people are worried about too many seals, too few sharks, too few stripers, lack of forage fish, destroyed ocean floor, etc., etc. they'll find the root of the problem by taking a look in the mirror. Suggesting simplistic cures is as brain dead as the policies that got us where we are now. My.02.
Jon
Old 06-16-2011, 05:34 AM

They're a nuisance that attract sharks which are as likely to kill someone's kid as a seal. notwithstanding their tourism value,they need to be severely culled.
Old 06-19-2011, 01:47 PM
mike oliver

Stevo,

Otters died out for a reason. Yes they did, at the hands of man in the names of sport and misguided estate management. Otters have a right to be on our rivers. nature left alone creates perfect balance over time. I have no time for Chalk stream Riparian owners bleating and I bet the Bleaters are also the ones who stock rainbow Trout in our chalk streams.
Steve are you sure that Cormarants can eat 7 kilos a day. They dont weigh that much themselves. My understanding is 2kg a day if they can find it. I am not keen on Cormarants either and they are causing a lot of damage to Trout and coarse fisheries but the reason they do this is factory fishing at sea which has depleated their natural food. So mans solution is kill food fish and then kill the apex preditor that feeds on them when it eats stock fish in a put and take fishery. We are a real class act us humans.

Mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.