Brit and Finish mini Invasion - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2011, 06:03 PM
mike oliver

Brit and Finish mini Invasion

OK PJ and Esa (Crunch) and myself are working our socks off for any fish at all. Canal is on fire but we are not interested in fishing a ditch. Flats have been ok but only small numbers of fish. avergae catch is 5. My best fish has been 30 inches on the N. side flats. Arrived with PJ and ESA just pre- dawn and as the last of the water ran off the bar it dragged millions of sand eels with it. Very big bass were gorging on them in 12 inches of bubbly water. First cast bang hook up , then it's off. This happens 5 times on the trot. My blood is boiling over with excitment and PJ is incomprehensible with it to. Esa is 100 yards away fixing a ruddy leader he has no fly on. I yell some ugly expeatives to him to get his Finnish A--- over PDQ. I make another 5 yard cast twitch the Clouser and wham fish on and this time it stays on. PJ yells into my ear " I'm in". It was his PB Striper about 30 inches. He tells me later that he held it up for me to kiss. I can't remember assulting his fish as I am at fever pitch it has been 12 long months. I horse the Bass in as I am desperate for another. In my urgency I manage to open up the hook. For the Nerds it was a Tiemco 811S size 1/0. In the time it took to re-tie another the water had stopped flowing and the easy meal with it and the Bass were gone. Exhilerating start. Dawn came and the fish did not wantb to play. We flogged the dead horse until we have some life and we got a few more small fish. Except poor Esa. Moral here is don't walk out with no fly attached. The window of opportunity was approx 2 minutes. We went back to the flats in the evening and had good sport on the flood zip on the ebb. Nothing over 5lbs but fun getting slam takes on the swing presentation.
Tried Morris Island Channel met JS but got Zip. Tried East facing big beach wonderful structure rips and bars. Managed to get out 90 yards in wet suit which evens things up with the Spin Guys. But Esa and myself blanked but it was a great morning and valuable intel was gathered. We will return in the dark. Did Race Point at dawn this morning. Silver Sides thrown up on beach. Got one hook up but dropped the fish and we blanked again. This PM went on South Side in an inlet and blanked. Sleep is at a premium. Average per day is 4 hours a day and we look like zombies. The locals can't get used to us shopping in waders and wet suits but lucky for us the breakfast bars have no trouble. We love the Mediteranian Resteraunt in Dennisport on rout 28.
Taking first real meal since Tuesday tonight as living on junk is causing low energy levels to kick in.
Fishing is rock hard but we are loving every second. Confidence levels are sky high.
My gifted rod by HL (Herb) a CTS MX Affinity MX 10 wt is probably the best fly rod I have ever had. I like it better even than my old Sage Xi2 . Met up with Herb on Friday and we did S. Beach and Morris Island both of us Zip.
Thanks for a really great rod Herb, beautifully built.

Ok if I get the chance I wil try and post some more stuff. Its just a problem finding time. I have to re-type every other word as I am so tired and can not see the keys well.

Oly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2011, 12:19 PM
Squire animal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Oliver
OK PJ and Esa (Crunch) and myself are working our socks off for any fish at all. Canal is on fire but we are not interested in fishing a ditch. Flats have been ok but only small numbers of fish. avergae catch is 5. My best fish has been 30 inches on the N. side flats. Arrived with PJ and ESA just pre- dawn and as the last of the water ran off the bar it dragged millions of sand eels with it. Very big bass were gorging on them in 12 inches of bubbly water. First cast bang hook up , then it's off. This happens 5 times on the trot. My blood is boiling over with excitment and PJ is incomprehensible with it to. Esa is 100 yards away fixing a ruddy leader he has no fly on. I yell some ugly expeatives to him to get his Finnish A--- over PDQ. I make another 5 yard cast twitch the Clouser and wham fish on and this time it stays on. PJ yells into my ear " I'm in". It was his PB Striper about 30 inches. He tells me later that he held it up for me to kiss. I can't remember assulting his fish as I am at fever pitch it has been 12 long months. I horse the Bass in as I am desperate for another. In my urgency I manage to open up the hook. For the Nerds it was a Tiemco 811S size 1/0. In the time it took to re-tie another the water had stopped flowing and the easy meal with it and the Bass were gone. Exhilerating start. Dawn came and the fish did not wantb to play. We flogged the dead horse until we have some life and we got a few more small fish. Except poor Esa. Moral here is don't walk out with no fly attached. The window of opportunity was approx 2 minutes. We went back to the flats in the evening and had good sport on the flood zip on the ebb. Nothing over 5lbs but fun getting slam takes on the swing presentation.
Tried Morris Island Channel met JS but got Zip. Tried East facing big beach wonderful structure rips and bars. Managed to get out 90 yards in wet suit which evens things up with the Spin Guys. But Esa and myself blanked but it was a great morning and valuable intel was gathered. We will return in the dark. Did Race Point at dawn this morning. Silver Sides thrown up on beach. Got one hook up but dropped the fish and we blanked again. This PM went on South Side in an inlet and blanked. Sleep is at a premium. Average per day is 4 hours a day and we look like zombies. The locals can't get used to us shopping in waders and wet suits but lucky for us the breakfast bars have no trouble. We love the Mediteranian Resteraunt in Dennisport on rout 28.
Taking first real meal since Tuesday tonight as living on junk is causing low energy levels to kick in.
Fishing is rock hard but we are loving every second. Confidence levels are sky high.
My gifted rod by HL (Herb) a CTS MX Affinity MX 10 wt is probably the best fly rod I have ever had. I like it better even than my old Sage Xi2 . Met up with Herb on Friday and we did S. Beach and Morris Island both of us Zip.
Thanks for a really great rod Herb, beautifully built.

Ok if I get the chance I wil try and post some more stuff. Its just a problem finding time. I have to re-type every other word as I am so tired and can not see the keys well.
Oly
I don't class myself a "nerd" but the Tiemco 811s usually snaps before it bends so that was quite interesting to read!

Mike, you really need to calm down and focus a little more... it sounds like you're running around like a headless chicken for not that many fish. Take a leaf out of the masters book - namely Jim Simms - and fish when it's hot and then take time to "smell the roses" along the way as it were.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:37 PM
mike oliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo
I don't class myself a "nerd" but the Tiemco 811s usually snaps before it bends so that was quite interesting to read!

Mike, you really need to calm down and focus a little more... it sounds like you're running around like a headless chicken for not that many fish. Take a leaf out of the masters book - namely Jim Simms - and fish when it's hot and then take time to "smell the roses" along the way as it were.

Stevo,

Focus is what I do I focus on fishing hard. I don't know any other way. Calm who needs calm? Calm is for when you are dead.
I got into a lot of fish yesterday some blind casting others sight which was just fantastic. dinner tased good I can tell you. This morning zippo again, but I am fishing tonight on a flat where i know the fishing has been good for the past two nights.

Silas once had a hard time out here fish wise. Am I down am I damed. here there are fish and there is hope back home there is only in rerality despair fishing our practically barren beaches.

Wish you was here Buddy.

Cheers

Oly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.